Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Ultimate and Terrible Demise of Little Guy

Emma has an imaginary friend, who she pulls out occasionally. This is not the constant friend who never leaves her side. This is someone who comes out when she is playing with others and joins in. His name is Little Guy. The other day (Tuesday) I was driving to go do errands and there was a clump of dirt in my tire, clanking around as clumps of dirt tend to do when stuck in the wheel well. I stopped briefly to get out and look at it and announced to the inquisitive girls what it was and drove off. Then Emma broke out in screaming and sobbing fits.

"NO! NO! MAMA! IT'S LITTLE GUY! YOU SMASHED HIM WITH YOUR TIRE! STOP! YOU'RE HURTING HIM! IT'S ****LITTLE GUY****!!!"

And so the car ride went, with Emma convinced I had just killed her imaginary friend. Yep. Ran him over. Much like Grandma and the reindeer in that catchy holiday song. Emma was beside herself for the rest of the ride. At nap time, she had nightmares about Little Guy. After nap time, she moped about and looked wistful, saying the house was an awfully sad place without Little Guy. About every hour she teared up and mourned her loss.

It's amazing to me that I have never come across any parenting articles about how to handle this occasion.

1 comment:

Lydia Netzer said...

I have no words. I'm just laughing hysterically. That child is going to be a force to be reckoned with. What am I saying -- she already is that! *cackle*

RIP Little Guy.