Saturday, October 25, 2008

Emma is a Girl Scout!

Well, a Daisy Scout, at least. Thursday night we began the long career of Girl Scouts. At kindergarten (and now first grade as well), the girls are Daisy Scouts. I don't remember Daisy Scouts at all, so I don't know if they are a newer creation (well, in the last 30 years, I mean). What I do remember, is being a part of something BIGGER. I loved that. When I got to Jr. High, I still belonged, but we didn't do much. We were known by our leader as "closet Girl Scouts", because it wasn't "cool" to be in them. We just used it for time to sit around and talk, as young teens are want to do. So 5 little 5 year olds got together and learned hos to do the Girl Scout Promise. Tears threatened when Emma fashioned her fingers into the little hand symbol they use to recite the promise.


Then the Mommies got to order the little uniforms. They are blue (a color I never associated with scouts, to be honest) and we talked about the patches and badges they can get. Emma was not impressed with most of it, but she really enjoyed playing the drum set at the leader's house. She is also very excited about the idea that we are bringing snack next time. I remember being excited about snack. I also remember LOTS of little songs we learned and I think Emma will like that, too. She is also TERRIBLY excited about a mall sleep over the mothers talked about. You know, all of the IMPORTANT things the girl scouting brings to the table. Mary is jealous, of course. She keeps telling me that I shouldn't have picked Emma first, as if we went to some sort of Sam's Club for babies, saw them both sitting there, and chose Emma over her. Anyhow, I found out that Daisy Scouts sell COOKIES now (this is apparently a new thing). I can't wait until January!!!!!

No comments: