Saturday, October 01, 2005

Eggo Waffle Massacre


Have you seen the commercial for Eggos? It is a man dressed as a waffle, with red arms and legs, strolling along, minding his own waffle business when he is startled by a scraping noise. He 'looks' around, sees nothing, keeps walking. Again with the noise. Suddenly, out of NOWHERE comes a PLATE, which scoops under his feet and causes him to fall on his back, flat on the plate. Then a huge, waffle-man size pat of butter falls out of the sky to land expertly on the poor waffle. Then comes the waterfall of Syrup, and a couple of strawberries that knock him unconscious. Then the poor, beaten eggo waffle is served up to a particularly ravenous teenaged boy. Now, imagine the same commercial with Emma watching intently:

Waffle appears.

Emma: Momma, what's that?

Me: Um, a waffle. (Scraping noise)

Emma (now a little upset): Momma, what that noise?!

(more scraping)

E: Momma! THAT noise????

(waffle falls and get walloped with butter)

E: OH NO!!!

(Waterfall of maple syrup)

E: MOMMA!!!! MESS RIGHT THERE! NO RIGHT THERE!!! (pointing frantically)

(Strawberries, a la anvil skit)

E: Oh no! Momma, BOO BOO!!!

At this point I have collapsed in laughter and cannot comfort my distressed daughter for the LIFE of me. Until now, I have never took the side of the waffle and frankly, it nearly made me pee my pants I laughed so hard. Emma was traumatized and this is why I don't usually let her watch commercials.

4 comments:

Derek said...

I have not seen that Eggo commercial during any of the sporting events I tend to watch. I'm now a little disappointed.

You didn't seize the opportunity to reinforce the importance of proper restroom use (i.e. "That's what happens to people who don't make it to the toilet"), did you?

Canton Mommy said...

Derek- The problem with that is the butter, syrup, and deadly strawberries were landing ON the waffle. The implication would be that someone above the waffle did not make it to the restroom. That would traumatized Emma AND me. It would also make the plight of the poor waffle even worse.

Derek said...

I was actually thinking the consequenses for not using the facilities were that things would start falling on you, possibly leading to being eaten. Fear can be an excellent motivator.

Caleb said...

hi i was recently trying to look up the eggo waffle commercials and i stumbled on your blog entry here. very funny :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNxyTynRJY0