Saturday, July 29, 2006

Bad House Karma

Ok, this is just wrong. So far while Jim has been gone, and more specifically in the last 4 days, more things have gone wrong with this house than usually occur in 4 months.

Remember the dryer? That was the start.

Then the back porch light burned out.

The front porch light followed shortly thereafter.

The kitchen sink faucet is leaking - this is a recurring issue.

The sink is now leaking under the cabinet, too.

The icemaker got jammed - I fixed that easily enough.

The icemaker remained jammed, even after my fabulous fixing.

The phone in the basement (where I spend a lot of time with the girls) wasn't working.

And then, the regular maintenance things are piling up, just making the whole situation seem slightly insurmountable:

The grass needs to be cut
the gardens have a lot of weeds
the trimming needs to be done before we lose sight of the gardens
the kiddie pool needs to be put away
the toilets (all 4 of them) need to be cleaned
the house (all 4 levels) needs to be vacuumed
the garbage needs to be taken up
the laundry needs to be done (whoops, then there's the dryer issue)
grocery shopping needs to be done
bills need to be paid

And I have a killer headache. So far, things are running about par for the course. I'm going to bed now.

4 comments:

Derek said...

My advice: Bills and leaks generally take first priority. That's followed pretty quickly by grocery shopping (gotta eat) and garbage removal (bonus is that should go pretty quickly, unlike some of the other stuff).

Laundry can be handled this way: Tell the kids this is "Intro to College Week". First thing you do is turn you clothes inside out. Anything that doesn't smell bad can be worn first. Anything that does smell bad gets air freshner sprayed on them.

Toilets should probably then be cleaned, but you could decide to clean one and seal off the others for the time being.

Skip vacuuming, trimming, light repair, and weeding. If you don't pay the bills, they won't be your gardens anyway. Lights are only needed if you go outside at night, which is a completely optional activity.

Canton Mommy said...

Well, thank goodness I got some sound advice. My father-in-law came over for a bit today and he changed some lightbulbs (which I could have done, I just hadn't gotten there yet), fixed the leak, unjammed the icemaker, offered to plunge the plugged toilet (the Karma just keeps coming) and I went grocery shopping while the kids slept and the inlaws stayed behind. Now I just have to pay the bills and figure out the grass issue and I might be back to nearly flustered.

Derek said...

So does that mean my "Intro to College Week" idea is being used?

Lydia Netzer said...

This always happens to me when Dan goes out of town too. So awful. Last time there was a mouse in the sink even! Which I (Lydia) had to transport outside (TRANSPORT!) on a plate (which I then threw away). This is some kind of law of absent husbands. It's wrong but predictable.