Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Long and Not So Short of It

I took the girls to their annual well-child appointments. Everything went well, and if you're up for the stats, here they are:

Emma is 39.5 inches tall and weighs 32 pounds. She will be starting preschool in a MONTH!!!

Mary is 37 inches tall and weighs 30 pounds (OUCH! My aching back!). She is 1 1/2 inches taller than Emma was at this age, and most of the size 2 clothes are looking a bit short on her. Looks like she will be catching up to Emma's wardrobe before the end of the year, which will make a lot of things more difficult. It will also cause a lot of clothes to not get worn twice, or handed down as they are now. My friends will suddenly be receiving a lot more clothes when I pass things on, as Mary will no longer be a stop on that hand-me-down chain. This makes me and my pocketbook quite sad.

So, 16 months, 2 1.2 inches, and 2 pounds different. That amazes me.

Last week we went to buy some shoes for the fall weather. I guess you could say it was our first "School Shopping" that begins the long years of new clothes to start the new school year. I choose 2 pairs of shoes that Emma could pick from - a nice, sensible pair of white shoes or a trendy, Strawberry Shortcake pair of zippy brown and pink shoes. Emma obsessed over a fluffy set of Princess slippers. No amount of refocusing even came close to getting her attention. She tried them on. She walked around in them, proclaiming that they fit her and they were very comfortable. She sang their slipper praises and generally ignored the shoes I was trying to get her to pick from. So, we eventually bought the slippers (one pair for each girl, of course) and then she conceded to pick the Strawberry Shortcake shoes. You may think that I should have just picked the shoes for her, but then you would be uninitiated in the Ways of the Toddler, which would cause a fight EVERY time she needed to put on shoes if they were not ones she liked. As it is now, she has decided to have a VERY strict opinion on the outfits I put on her. One less fight on a daily basis makes my life a lot easier. So, we got new shoes for the fall season AND a nice fluffy pair of Princess Slippers to boot. Now she is set to meet her peers.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

ah yes. when i *do* choose, i know that i might need to bring them back. irene has definite ideas of what she does and does not like - especially now that she's 6 1/2.

i think that rhys is now 38" and about 32 pounds. he just turned 3.

irene at 3 was about the same height, but weighed more.

Lydia Netzer said...

Oh yes I'm so aware of the CHOOSINESS of toddlers. This is like Stephen Colbert's TRUTHINESS. I stake my flag on it. Our problem is that Sadie's choice changes at the slightest provocation. Or no provocation. So the choice you made while standing at the refrigerator might not be the choice you realize you need to make at the table. At least Mary will still let you pick things out for her?

Canton Mommy said...

Well, Mary sure has her opinions, but she is easily swayed. I can say, "Hey! This is SO MUCH BETTER! Do you want to wear it today?" and she says, "YES!". I wil miss those days...