Thursday, July 21, 2005

Happy Birthday, my Mary Lee


2:03 PM slipped by without notice this year. At 4:53 I noticed the time and realized that uncomfortable memories of last year at that time were foggy at best, thank heavens. Mary turned one while she was sleeping and I didn't even notice. She was perfectly adorable and sweet today, like most days. I loved her more than ever just for being here. We didn't do anything of note today except sing 'Happy Baby Birthday' a dozen or so times. She swayed back and forth the minute we started and smiled all the way through. She let me rock her for about 15 minutes tonight, and I told her all sorts of things you want to tell somebody you really love: about what it was like the first time I saw her, felt her, heard her; the sweetest times I've ever had with her; the sounds I love; (the sounds I don't love); how her hair curls in back and is turning coarse; how all 10 of her toes are absolutely perfect and kissable (and what has she been doing with them since they've gotten so big?!); and on and on. She patiently listened to me and smiled and cooed when she should. Then she got impatient and began trying to tear my face off via the corner of my mouth with her pointy index finger. So I laid her down in her crib - in the middle of the nest of blankets she has made - gave her her blankie and her pacifier and said good night to my precious 1 year old baby as I said goodbye to my helpless infant.

Directly after that, I chased down my naked 2 year old and wrestled her pajamas over her head while she screamed that is was morning, not that evil time called night. Then I sat down and locked her on my lap with my leg to comb the tangles out of her wet hair while she squirmed with amazing strength. She then pleaded for me to find her rainboots (no rain here) and she found her 'purse'. With Disney Princess nightgown, tulip rainboots, and electric blue bag, she announced she was going 'bye-bye' and climbed into the pedal car that Jim got for the girls. Good-bye, dear toddler - until tomorrow.

No comments: