Thursday, December 01, 2005

Random Thoughts and Diatribes

I have a lot of things to talk about today, but I don't know if I will remember them all. First of all, hot tea, by definition, does not include ice cubes. I just wanted to get that out. Emma wants hot tea every day, thanks to her first experience with it on Thanksgiving. I have hot tea every day at breakfast and during the day, so when Grandma Linda asked if anyone wanted hot tea, Emma piped up. Ever since then, she asks for hot tea at least once an hour. But it is too hot to drink, she tells me, so she wants and ice cube. Let's look at the dialogue that just occurred during dinner - one that drove me to distraction because I couldn't figure out half of it.

Emma: "I want hahtee"

Me: "Happy?"

"No, hahtee"

"Hoppy?"

"Noooooooo, mama, HAHTEE"

"Hot Tea?"

"Yes, mama" (I warm up 1/3 of a cup of iced tea for 30 seconds, making it room temperature tea)

"I want peeping pooting"

"What?"

"peeping pooting"

"Um... Howdy Doody?"

"No, peeping pooting"

I go through 4 or 5 things that aren't really English until I realize she wants her tea in her sleeping beauty mug I just bought her. I clean it out and dump the tepid tea into it.

"Mama, it's too hot. I want icf boob"

"What?"

"Icf boob."

"Ice cube?"

"Yes." I'll skip the explanation I gave her about hot tea versus iced tea and the merits of asking for the one you actually wish to drink and gave her and icf boob anyways. Apparently the tea was warmer than I gave it credit for because the icf boob melted after a while, which precipitated her asking for another one. She rewarded me with, "Thanks, mama. I love iced tea."

The other thing I would like to point out is that dragons are supposed to eat unicorns. On an episode of Dragon Tales today the nearsighted flying unicorn who lost her glasses got stuck between two mountains and Ord the dragon flew up an neatly pulled her out, letting her down gently on the ground. If you are not going to show the dragon eating the unicorn, you should at least keep them far enough apart so that it is believable that the dragon is resisting temptation to devour the fresh mythological meat in front of it. On a happy note, the unicorn found her glasses and the little boy Max found his self worth in the process.

I need to go get the kids into pajamas and change around laundry.

No comments: