Friday, June 29, 2007

Day Off

Yesterday we went to the dollar movie (actually the $3 movie) and watched Curious George. Today, after a full week of fun fun things to do, we took a day off. I didn't even get up to run. We had no plans and no one to meet. We slept in! When Emma got up at her normal 5:45 time, I sent her back to bed without a second glance. She slept until 8! I chatted on the phone and stayed in my pajamas until 9:30 - an UNHEARD of luxury! The girls WATCHED TV. When my tea was gone and the phone was hung up, I was immediately bored. No where to go, no one to see, nothing on the docket for the whole long day spanning before us. The answer to that was......

Wrong! That was Zoe and the girls from Wednesday's Music in the Park (before it rained). I strapped roller blades on my feet and the girls got on their scooters and we went for a Wheel Walk! Hooray for wheels! We didn't last very long. My roller blades are OLD - pre pregnancy - so they are too small. Half way around the block I had no feeling left in my feet whatsoever. Mary gets tired on her scooter - the poor little bird is not even 3 yet, after all. So I tired to push her while skating. It would have been fun, if she didn't freak out and try to jump off every time - too fast, she said. She is not going to be our roller coaster girl, that's for sure. I did get the benefit of seeing a few neighbors - always fun to look like the active, cool Mommy on the block (or the crazy, out of control one, depending on your perspective). But we had a fun 1/2 hour. Then the girls spent the rest of the day playing with the scooters in one form or another.
I intended on mulching in eggshells and coffee grounds for some of the poorer looking rose bushes, and I had potato salad to make for the family gathering tomorrow and meatloaf to put together for dinner. Instead, I took a long, much needed 2 hour nap snuggled up with Emma. If you can't take a moment and lay down, what good is summer break? The meatloaf and potato salad still got made, but the roses will have to wait until tomorrow. And we had an unexpected last moment guest for dinner, which was odd, because I've never had anyone accept like that, standing at my front door trying to sell me things and accept a dinner invite. It was odd but yet neat. Turns out the young traveling man is far away from his wife and little girls and was grateful for some company. The randomness never stops!
Tomorrow I'm planning to get up early as usual and try a 20 mile bike. You should know, Internet, that I am signed up for a Triathlon on the 14th of July. That's only 2 weeks away. I've been swimming, biking, and running to beat the band these last two weeks and I can't stop now. Then lots of family gatherings this weekend from out of town relatives, so it will be run, run, run in more ways than one!

No comments: