Friday, September 02, 2005

Cupboard Day

Today I cleaned out the spice cabinet. Emma and Mary were happily playing in the sand box - which means they were dumping sand out as fast as possible. But since I could keep an eye on them while organizing spices, I took my moment. I had purchased a tiered spice rack at www.organizeeverything.com - this type of store should be OUTLAWED for people like me, who really believe that adding one more item into the cupboard will somehow make it more organized. Well, Reader, I could NOT believe how many spices we had - they go like this: Allspice
Apple Pie Spice
Anise seed
Basil leaves
Bay leaves
Caraway seed
Cardamom
Celery seed (2 unopened bottles - huh.)
Cilantro
Cinnamon - sticks and ground
Cloves - both ground and whole
Coriander - seeds and flakes
Cumin
Dill seed
Dill WEED (is that one for smoking?)
Garlic powder
Ginger - ground
Mustard - seeds and ground
Onion powder
Onion salt
Oregano
Paprika
Parsley
Pepper (Black, white, and peppercorns)
Poppy seed
Red pepper flakes
Rosemary
Sage
Sesame seeds
Thyme
Tumeric

It struck me that we had no spices after T. Are there spices that we do not own that start with U, V, W, X, Y or Z? Why is that? There are so many spices that start with "C", can't we share the love with all of the letters? Well, anyhow, I combined open jars and reorganized. It looks nice and neat (and YES, alphabetized, which is how they SHOULD be). But they do not really look any more accessible. The tier idea is a good one, but to get a jar off of the back row one will probably knock off a few of the front ones. I wish I had space for a drawer spice organizer - I really think those are the best idea, especially if you are shooting for the whole alphabet of spice potential - including multiple jars of Celery Seed. I did let Emma "plant" some of the old, OLD seeds, like the Caraway seed which was still in the original, unopened jar from my spice rack I received as a wedding gift - 13 years ago. I really loved that spice rack - thank you Mrs. B for buying it for us - but I apparently had no use for Caraway seeds. So Emma planted them in her sand box. I don't know why. Perhaps they will grow. What do Caraway seeds grow, anyhow?

Well, that is it for the blog tonight. I had some neighbors over (with their kids)and we played Euchre. Emma did not go to bed until waaaaay after 10, so I am hoping there will be sleeping in tomorrow. I had a lot of fun, but my sinus headache is creeping up the back of my ears, so I am well ready for bed. This is good, as it is the earliest I have even thought about bed since Jim left. Maybe I will make it there before 3 AM like last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann,
You are so right about knocking off spices in the front trying to get to the back. The only ones you really even see the names of are on the front row. It did seem like a good idea. The main thing I accomplished was that I got more spices in the space I had. I gave up alphabetizing and put the spices I use most in the front. I guess you can tell I bought one a number of years ago thinking it would make me more organized.
Mrs. B.

Canton Mommy said...

So is this some household management rite of passage? The tiered spice rack- that is. Today at the grocery store I eyed the spice aisle and would you beleive the only item they had after Tumeric was Vanilla Bean? VANILLA BEAN?!?!? I cannot tell you how hard it was not to buy that just so that I could have the FULL alphabetical complement of spices.