Sunday, September 04, 2005

Venting Rage


People really piss me off sometimes. Now I know this is a "family" blog - I have kept things pretty PG here for a reason. But I am just so fairly annoyed by multiple people that I cannot help but write about them today.

I took pictures that included the neighbor's kids playing in the yard. I called the neighbor. I said, "Hey, neighbor, I took some pics of our kids playing together, specifically in princess dresses and later in the kiddy pool. They are so unbelievably typical yet endearing that I have printed some off for you and would like you to take your choices before I go and scrapbook them. Tonight." Neighbor says, "Wow, thanks - that is very generous of you. And it is good, too since I never take any pictures, I would love to have some." I say, "great - come on over when you are out picking up toys," ALL of them - before I have to look at them for one more second of the day. Please feel free to read this as Get Your Lazy still-in-pajamas-at-1:00-this-afternoon-too-skinny Bum out there and pick up your toys on your way across the yard to come and get pictures I want to give you - NOW. Readers, it is 10:32 as I type, and skinny lazy neighbor has not been out to pick up her kid's toys yet. I am more than mostly annoyed.

Next culprit of making me pissy tonight - helpful (NOT) people. "Oh," said Helpful Person, "I am sorry we can't have you over for dinner tonight like we said, or last night either, like we said, but if you want I will come over and watch your kids while you have some time to run around and do whatever you want." Aside: Helpful People like to invite me and the girls over for dinner when Jim is traveling - I like that in a person. Well, Reader, surely you are scratching at your hairline right now, wondering, how could this go badly? It certainly went badly, you are probably saying to yourself, because otherwise she would not have written about it. Unfortunately, it went badly enough. Right before Helpful Person showed up, I burned the neurons right out of the pad of my right hand. This was not Helpful Person's fault. It did, however, cause me to use my Precious Time running to Rite Aid to find SOMETHING that would stop the searing pain, and it also caused me to return early from my Precious Time to restock the ice pack I had been using to tolerate the pain. I returned early to find a HUGE dent in my freshly baked peanut butter cookies. 'Oh, Canton Mommy,' you chuckle, 'you are having a bad time of it and over-reacting - you probably don't need to eat all of those anyway'. DON'T VEX ME, READER. Those cookies were specifically made to give to a friend who GAVE BIRTH today. Now, I cannot give her a nice sized tupperware that is a little more than 1/2 full. I swear Helpful Person ate at least 9 cookies out of there. I counted. They were in a sealed tupperware container NEXT to the cookie jar. DOESN'T ANYONE USE A COOKIE JAR??? The cookie jar is full of purchased, yummy cookies that would be fine for snacking but just will not do for a thoughtful treat for a young family. And no, I cannot put them in a smaller container - there just aren't enough there now to look like an appropriate gift amount. Man, I hate it when people force me to use caps so much.

Another neighbor has managed to get my hackles up, too. Having spoken to a couple of the bookclub members, it came to my attention that we would have a few holes in the monthly meeting on Tuesday. This month we are picking books to read for the upcoming discussions, and 3 of the people not coming are the ones that bring the best choices. In addition to this fact, I was feeling particularly low after having found out that my husband's business trip was extended another week. Reader, I called off Helpful People for the weekend based on this wallowing. I haven't put in my contacts since then. In short, I was sad and depressed at the news and did not want to see another Person, let alone clean my house and entertain 8 or them on Tuesday. So I sent out an email. Reader, I have NEVER moved a bookgroup date in the 2 1/2 years we have been meeting here. And only 2 of those months did we meet anywhere else, and that was, predictably, when I was expecting to go to the hospital and have Mary, and the following meeting after that. So I come to find that another neighborhood meeting is scheduled for the following week and we would lose 3 people to that if we moved it. So, Prissy Neighbor writes an email to the whole groups and says, "I think it is counter productive to move a meeting to accommodate some people while losing others. Just my two cents." Two Cents - well, two things, Reader. 1) I did not KNOW there was another meeting, that is why I sent out an email asking if the change of date would be reasonable, and 2) THANKS FOR CARING, PRISSY NEIGHBOR.

I won't even write about the neighbor that came over Friday night and verbally checked me IN MY OWN HOUSE when her 4 year's safety was an issue. And a family issue which would not be appropriate to record here - but the ones who have talked to me KNOW WHO IT IS. I will just say this, Reader, I am not sure when everybody thought they could just say or do anything to me without hurting my feelings or just plane being considered rude. This is why Husband should not leave for long, long trips. I try to make new friends and look where it lands me. I'm going to bed now, so that one more day in the Wifey Solitary Confinement will be gone. Come home quickly, Husband, and save me from these insipid interactions with others.

2 comments:

Diane said...

My message couldn't have helped, either! We got home really, really late yesterday and I didn't think you'd appreciate a call at midnight your time.

I'll call this morning - and I sincerely hope that things are going better for you.

I hope that Jim can return on Friday as planned - I know you're (desperately) looking forward to it.

Lydia Netzer said...

I know they are horrid, but I'm VERY impressed with your level of human interaction and how many neighbors you know! WELL DONE, YOU CIVILIZED MEMBER OF THE HUMAN RACE! Very well done. I mean, it's all suffering and pain, but it is... HUMANITY.