Sunday, September 18, 2005

Vacation in the Midwest

Emma and I are in Minnesota as I write this. We came out to see my bestest friends in the whole wide world aside from Lochmoor Mom. We are having a blast here! Emma has never laughed so hard in her life that I know of. We have spent some time at the Mall of America - not shopping, mind you. There is an area there called Camp Snoopy which is like a small amusement park - roller coasters and all - right inside the mall. Well, Emma braved the scariest toddler rides and came out beaming. Except for the flume ride. That one didn't go quite as well. After the first hill she slammed her hands over her eyes and kept repeating, "Momma, go home now?" She didn't get upset, she just wanted to go home - NOW. We got to the top of the second hill - the biggest- and I told her we had one more hill to go - was she ready? She squeaked out the saddest, smallest "yes" and we plunged. I normally like these rides, except that holding on to a small child gives the ride a whole new dimension, since that means you are not holding onto anything fixed while plummeting down a 45 degree angle. But we all survived and I will post some pictures to prove it. We have eaten at a restaurant called Bubba Gump's Shrimp Company, which is odd since I don't really like seafood much. They have wonderful food and a great atmosphere - even Emma liked the food, but she loves fish. We went back 2 nights in a row and I liked it so much I bought a cookbook from there. It is hard to believe the things they can make money off of from movies these days - but there I was in line with a Bubba Gump Cookbook, baseball cap, and a plush refrigerator shrimp magnet. I would have bought more, to be honest, but there won't be enough room in the suitcase if I do that.

Today we went to the renaissance Festival, which was a little odd and nostalgic. Diane and I went EVERY year together and had many adventures there all the way through High School and then some. So it was odd to be going together and taking OUR CHILDREN. The girls all had a good time - Emma rode an elephant, a camel, a llama and a pony - in that order. Sabrina tried to throw soft tomatoes at a loudmouth bloke in a stile, and Fiona enjoyed feeding some sheep for a bit. We were all baked to a crisp and grouchy when we left, but very happy underneath the dust and sunburns. I bought Emma a princess hat which she immediately decided she didn't like, so I wore it. No use letting it waste away in a bag.

Well, I'll fill in any details later when I get home tomorrow. I hear Jim is pawning Mary off on his mother more than I would ever dare, so I will have to see how that works out when I get home and hear the whole story.

3 comments:

Derek said...

OK, please tell me this. Where in medieval (sp?) Europe were the camels and elephants?

Diane said...

Emma had SO much fun - you'll have to post pictures!

Camels and elephants were part of the Renaissance Festival's Mid-East Mirage... and were so popular that they were present each weekend. If Ann doesn't post a picture of her on a camel, I will.

Canton Mommy said...

Derek, very observant of you. I wasn't there, so I don't know where they were hiding at the time. We found them nicely posted at the rear end of the festival.