Friday, April 07, 2006

Martha Called

Well, Danielle called from Martha's office. Unfortunately, Martha will not be able to attend my event, since she will be in Europe for the month of June. She did, however, see my invitation (according to Danielle) and there was a note that she liked the color scheme. A letter will follow, on MARTHA letterhead and all, saying how she cannot attend.

I have to tell you, my heart was racing. The possibilities that towered in my head when I saw the caller ID (NEW YORK CALL) were staggering. I didn't imagine for a moment it was Martha, but beyond that it could have been anything. I could have been asked to be on the phone during her show or it may have been them telling me a restraining order was being sought for overly ambitious fans. On the outside, they could have been calling to make sure we could have some sort of security in place for Martha's visit. The potentials were all there on the caller ID. About 10 minutes later the excitement was over. Martha is not coming. But I invited her and she saw the invitation I made with my own hands. I really grilled Danielle about that. She said, "Martha personally sees ALL of her invitations, this is not just an automatic thing. And I have a note that she liked the color scheme." So I will choose to believe her. Then I will take the letter, politely declining my invitation, and keep it in my Martha Stewart Cookbook for Entertaining. The irony is too much to pass up.

2 comments:

Lochmoor Mom said...

I've been cheking back today to see when you were gonna post about the phone call!!!! I was waiting with baited breath along with you when you got the call and when you called me back I couldn't understand a thing you were saying. All I could think was 'what date did Martha choose to come'!! Bummer Martha won't be in attence, but how cool to have the letter to show your diinner club in June.

Derek said...

You know, this reminds me of when we had to write a letter to a company in sophomore English.

And by the way, you can hardly be called a stalker, so long as you don't start sending her invites every other day, becoming more demanding with each one.