Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Scheduled, the Unscheduled, and the Inbetween

There has been some minor clamoring, so I am posting - I LOVE my public! Emma has been doing just fine in preschool. It is a wonderful, fabulous place where she plays well with other children and learns about God, all between hayrides and feeding the baby chickens. And it is ALL DAY LONG, so what more could a parent hope for? Sometimes I worry about leaving her for all day, and I hang around the Web Cam to see what she is doing most of the morning, but I pick her up right after Mary gets up from her nap and that is about as good as I can do. My poor little baby Mary (ok, she's 2 already) doesn't get a solid nap when Emma is home, as Emma must be Larry Boy and what is Larry Boy without his trusty Alfred? (In the picture, Alfred is the Asparagus guy, the tomato is trying to be a sidekick "Bobbin" and it is not working very well) So after Mary and I run around with other Mommies and their 2 year old children, going to Tea and Tambolas all over the town, we play some hide and seek before she goes down for a nap. Then I sit at the computer and stare at the sleeping children on the web cam. I am hopelessly lost without Emma all day, but I do so that she learns things I do not have the patience to teach her.

Other news: Mary and Emma have started gymnastics. They went today for the first time. They are in the same class together, along with Yours Truly, who is supposed to guide and support them through the first steps of throwing their bodies about with grace and purpose. That is a huge step up from throwing their bodies around the way they do now, which is randomly and without a thought as to what they may land on. Emma LOVES the balance beam. That is all she wants to do. And she doesn't want the little steps they offer her, but the ENORMOUS one that the professionals bounce about on. So it was a little hard to reign her in while teaching Mary how to jump on a block in a straddle. Mary was FABULOUS. My little dear would do everything the teacher told her as well as she could and beamed with pride when she did something. Trampolines! Bars! Beams! Obstacle course! Butterfly sitting! It didn't matter - Mary was in her element. They both enjoyed the floor trampoline and Emma even managed to jump around doing what they told her to. Mary did a funny little gallop jump and said, "Jumpy! Jumpy! Jumpy!", while beaming. I might take her tomorrow for the open gym play while Emma is at school, being watched by other parents with nothing to do but miss their toddlers.

Monday Mary starts swimming lessons. It sounds like my children are suddenly all booked up with events and schedules coming out of their ears. Indeed, they are not! But Mary experienced her first swimming adventure on Labor Day and the whole of her being wants to swim, "by her own". The child would not stay attached to me for anything and spent 2 full hours trying to propel herself around in the water despite the whole sinking thing. So I signed her up the minute I could. I thought it would be some special Mary/Momma time and swimming lessons were something Emma and I enjoyed when she was younger. I didn't anticipate putting her in the gymnastics, but the only class left for Emma was during a time when Mary had to come. She really lucked out on this one! So now, between an aggressive work out schedule (did I mention the triathalon?), preschool twice a week, swimming lessons (still not sure where Emma will be during those) and gymnastics, we are booked to leave the house at least once every day. This is amazing to me, since in the past year I could go the entire week without using the car. And look where we are now!

No comments: