Saturday, September 30, 2006

Triathlon Training

I have had a few people ask me for more information about this Triathlon thing, so I'll give a little of the background and the information up to now. First off, know that I have been working out regularly all summer - that's 2 or more time a week. I have 20 pounds remaining from when I was pregnant with Mary and I am trying my best to get rid of it in a healthy manner. For the record, I should list things that I hate, just as background:

1. Being wet
2. Being cold
3. Being cold and wet
4. Sweating (see #1)
5. Running (this used to bring on panic attacks in High School, bad enough to send me the hospital)
6. Being out of breath

That should cover it.

So, I put aside some of these issues and began doing serious yoga/pilates last fall with a friend once a week. While that felt like I was working, it did nothing for my over all physique. So, this summer I got more involved and starting going to Lifetime Fitness regularly. Still nothing. So I decided to get down and dirty and figured if I could do a Triathlon, I would be in shape and forever get rid of the extra weight. So I bought a book . I read the book. I started week 1 of running, biking and swimming. Well, I tried. I didn't have a bathing suit, so I had to get that. My shoes make my toes go numb when I exercise (they are over 8 years old, and pre-pregnancy sized). I found that I can't swim with contacts if I don't have goggles. Bought those. And my hair kept getting in my face, so I got a swimming cap. Then my hair started feeling funny from the chlorine, so I had to find some good conditioner. And my gym bag rebelled from sudden frequent uses, so, after it split open along the seams, I bought a new bag. And then I started.

I got to week 3, which was the first week of moderate training (versus easy, or adaptation to training) and found my lack of enjoyment of swimming was working against me. I can't swim well enough to do the drills that I was supposed to be doing for the training. So I am taking a week off (this past week) and doing nothing but swimming to try and catch up. I have spent every day at the gym swimming. At this point, I think you should return to the list at the beginning of this post and consider what this means. I found a lot of good information on the web on how to swim better and how to train. I really stumbled across some good information on training in different heart rate zones and tried that. This boosted the number of laps I could do in a half an hour to an amazing amount, for me. I have two days left of swimming and then I will try to do the drills for weeks 3 training. If I can do them, I will continue with the training. If I cannot, I will do another week of swimming first.

As for a Triathlon at the end of this, I suppose I will have to. That means I would have to address the bike issue, as the bike I currently own is a 1978 3 speed. Not normally considered competing material. Of course, I do have until the spring, as there are not too many Triathlons in Michigan in the winter. What I hope to gain from this is a truly fit and healthy body that will quit pissing me off (hopefully 20 pounds lighter). At least, I will be able to keep up with Diane once she recovers from having a baby.

3 comments:

Lydia Netzer said...

You are so awesome. I cannot even comprehend your awesomeness! You are totally my hero, forever, if you do a T R I A T H A L O N. The end.

Diane said...

You're already way ahead of me! How about a triathlon date for next summer? It will help motivate me to get back in shape!!!

Canton Mommy said...

No that is a gauntlet if I ever heard one.... EXCEPT - I don't actually have the equipment one would need to do a REAL Triathlon. Ha HA! I'll do a VIRTUAL Triathlon- we can compare time vs distances. See you in May in the pool!