Monday, December 11, 2006

Guess what's cooking for dinner?

So I just typed this huge post and my computer decided to shut down Explorer. Hooray and here we go again. I think the post went something like this:

Saturday we had my parents over for dinner. It was a nice little affair where I did not have the time or inclination to pull out the Christmas dishes and that was probably the only opportunity I am going to have this year to use them. Anyhow, this story is relevent to today, really. We made a lemon chicken recipe that is a favorite, along with some broccoli. As for the noodle side dish, we had a bit of a disagreement. Jim, it seems, already had a menu in his head that did not include the noodle recipe I really wanted to make. I saw this recipe on Martha Stewart's show and it sounded so fabulous and GOURMET that I had to make it. So, after a brief show of annoyance, Jim conceded to my Fettuccine with Mascarpone and Parmigiano-Reggiano idea. I think he was still a little sore that recently Martha's cakey chocolate chip cookies beat out Alton's puffy chocolate chip cookies. In case you didn't know, these two cooking gurus are constantly battling for face time at our house. Almost every dinner has some mention of one or the other. So, anyhow, we made the Mascarpone noodles. Unfortunately, the day before, I had burned out my taste buds with atomically hot chai tea. All I can tell you about this wonderfully rich and creamy sounding dish is that the broccoli seemd over done and the noodles seemed under done. That was purely by texture. To satisfy Jim's desire for HIS noodle dish, he made it yesterday with the left over chicken.

Today, I went pawing through the refrigerator for the small amount of Saturday's dish that was hidden away, thinking that my taste buds were quite recovered. Knowing that this sauce was a creamy thing, I was gentle about heating it up in the microwave. Unfortunately, the taste was unrecognizable beyond the clumpy egg piles that had cooked into the sauce from my over active microwave oven. So much for Martha.

2 comments:

Lydia Netzer said...

Please come to my house and cook dinner for me. All the noodles can come, including the children.

Canton Mommy said...

I'm game for the Alton vs. Martha Iron Chef America. SWEET! I would like to see CHOCOLATE as the secret ingredient. May Martha kick your Good Eats Ass!