Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Damn Hot and Disconnected Ramblings

Well, for those of you interested in knowing, I did actually make some "progress" yesterday. I worked on editing processes, I got my server restarted, downloaded an update to another peice of software I have been trying to get and fixed some things I broke on Saturday. I still haven't successfully seen data moving to my database and I am still waiting for software from Germany (this makes it 1 week now). So I start the day a little, ever so little, less irritated than yesterday.

I just want to mention how hot it is here. Each day at lunch the temperature is about 110. This might not seem bad in Phoenix where the humidity is low but I can reassure you that the humidity here is picking up. I have begun to see the summer exodus from Saudi as the expats families all pack up and go to cooler climates. Soon the upper class Saudis will start leaving on vacation too so that only the expats and the rest of the Saudis are here keeping things going. I have seen the humidity in Bahrain already. A think haze hanging in the air... I know it is coming this way although I have been told that it is not as bad here as in Bahrain. In the end it is just damn hot. You can't enjoy a swim in the pool because it feels like bath water and it doesn't evaporate and cool you down because of the humidity. The wind as started blowing too, kicking up the sand so the sky turns tan on the horizon. All that just adds to my desire to finish up...

At dinner last night I sat with a German, Dutchman, and a Scotsman. The conversation was still relatively quiet filled with large pockets of quiet contemplation. I think it is because there is no alcohol allowed. Interesting enough the Dutchman did ponder aloud why some people in the US seem to obsess about individual players' statistics. I hopothesized that it might have something to do with the 12 year old boy discussion about which comic book hero would be superior to the other. This brought some brief explanation but didn't really seem to break the silence... This is not typical as I mentioned before, most of the conversations involve work.

I did want to mention that last week I week Mohamed came to get me at about 930am and said, "Come, breakfast." The guys pitched in and bought a large amount of sweets and Lebanese food and served Arabic coffee and ate and talked. The food was good and I ate so much I thought I was going to be able to skip dinner (but I didn't). There were pastries filled with yogurts and cheeses and so many other foods... The coffee was made of greener beans that were roasted and made into a type of light tea and served in a very small cup. It was good and not nearly as strong as the coffee we drink.

I still miss everyone and I can't beleive I have only been here for 12 days. It seems like much longer than that! I called Ann last night and she was getting ready to take Mary for her nap. She told Mary that "Dada is on the phone" and I said "Hello, Mary". Mary responded with the cutest "Da-DA?" Followed by many more calls for me. Mary tried to hug the phone and Ann pulled it away as Mary was busy chewing on it. Ann reported that Mary was cross at her for taking away the phone. The time before last when I called and caught Emma there she was more petulant. She wanted to tell me things (about monies and bubbles, Mum and Mary) but only by speaking in the opposite direction of the phone making it difficult to hear her. Its hard to say if these glimpses from afar trends for the future but it is funny to watch they develop their personalities! It seems like years since I last bounced them on my knee and watched them make silly, happy faces...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Ann told me you were off to Saudi I asked her if Chris could go too. All joking aside, I hope things go well so you have a quicker return date. Oh, and buy a sweater, it's going to be a chilly 89 degrees today in southern Michigan and in the mid 80's all week as the news reports.
Take Care. Paula

Derek said...

Hang in there, Jim. By the way, which sport were you discussing with the group?