Sunday, June 05, 2005

Garage Sale

Well it has been a BUSY week. I spent just about every spare minute etting prepared for a garage sale. I must first apologize to my friend Paula, who probably thinks I have forgotten who she is - I will call you this week! Aside from that, my Mom came over Thursday so I could set up and stayed until this morning to help with the kids while I wheeled and dealed and generally sold my junk. I made out pretty well, taking in $240 and getting rid of some items that were just darn bulky. Then I sent the books I didn't sell to the library, the clothes are packed up for Purple Heart (scheduled for Thursday), and a neighbor graciously agreed to include a few more boxes in the load she was hauling to the Salvation Army. At the end of the day I only had tables, 1 box of hardcover books I couldn't part with, and a container filled with fabric left. This morning I found someone who offered to take the fabric. I am really pleased! I am going to buy a climbing yard toy for the girls with the money and put it in the basement for rainy days. I can't wait!

Mary stood on her own the other day for quite a while while, so I don't think it will be long before she is trying to walk. She already cruises around while holding on to furniture, which Emma never did. Pretty much, she can get anywhere she wants. She is also a climber which makes life oh so interesting. And this morning she pointed to something she wanted - also a new thing. She is progressing by leaps and bounds and it is bittersweet.

Jim is still in Saudi Arabia and the trip is becoming pretty hard for him. I think we will both be glad when it is over.

Emma has been using her little pool and bubble machine endlessly - a new obsession. The only problem is that she thinks she should be naked when playing with water. She actually said, "No diaper, Mamma, NAKED." My mom and I could hardly keep straight faces. She has also decided that she is really tired of diapers and wants to use the potty like everyone else. So potty training has begun despite my reluctance. Next week I may actually make a concerted effort to make the big change. Until then, we are playing it by ear.

Today I am going to sit around and do nothing. Well, as much nothing as one can do with 2 children around. We are expecting severe thunderstorms with hail and tornados later in the day, so we may all be in the basement for a while. As long as the power doesn't go out it won't be a problem. Oh, it is my Dad's birthday, which makes him a Very Old Person of some unknown age. Happy Birthday, Dad. I also want to say a belated Happy Birthday to Jim's Mom, whose birthday was Friday and our call got cut very short by more garage sale things. Sorry it was so short - I had not intended that!

Well Emma just climbed into her booster seat, buckled herself in and started demanding candy. I have to go figure out something creative.

1 comment:

Derek said...

I don't think we were allowed to have candy before noon.

Congrats on the garage sale. If I would have known you were having one, I would have told you to call Chad. He was so good at demonstrating things for people, that they were actually paying MORE for the item than what the parents had paid for it.

Hope you avoid the tornados. I must admit, those are pretty rare down here. Not that the hurricanes don't make up for that to some extent.