Monday, June 06, 2005

Stranded in Saudi

I am working on a project that has taken me to Saudi. I won't talk about details but as my wife mentioned, things could be going better. It is really, really, really frustrating to have made a lengthy trip to a far away land and find out: 1) one of the main pieces of software need to be replaced, which has to come from another country and the person there doesn't seem to show any signs of urgency 2) the person you have to train is going out of country right when you would be training them 3) your equipment doesn't work and your colleagues back home really don't seem to understand this 4) it looks like you'll be stranded forever...

I too sleep alone (I know my wife is glad to hear this). The air conditioning is constantly running and drowning out any other sounds. My house mate is my main client. He is a good host and roommate but I still try to minimize my interruptions to his daily patterns. Work is a constant topic. We talk about many other things but it is obviously something that is on top of each of our minds. Breakfast - work, ride in to the office - work, the office - work [mostly - on some occasions I take time to discuss pressing social issues with Mohammed or the other guys I see and work along side while we work], ride back to the compound - work, quiet time before dinner - break from work to excersize or make initial calls to the office back home, dinner - work, after dinner - work summary, more calls and preparation for the next day of the same. Sounds like fun, huh? I really feel for the guys here. That is all many of them have unless their families are here with them. The evening is time for calls to family and friends and meetings with the office back home. I am really surprised how late some of those meetings go...

I have four outfits so every three days I do laundry. One outfit is shorts and a tee shirt that I only wear in the compound. What is a compound? It is a walled, gated enclosure where the expats stay. Think of it as a bunch of connected condos with a shop and restaurant in the middle. It is the only place you see children playing or women outside. It is "home" and is clean and neat inside. It feels like a gated community with barbed wire.

The facility is protected by guards, military and barb/razor wire. Inside life is, well, cabin fever on steroids! You read, watch TV, work, eat, exercise but don't go outside of the compound. Really, this is the daily habit. You don't go to town because there might be one person who doesn't want you there and decides to take advantage of the opportunity. I am assured by my non-western colleagues that it is not likely but yet... I have seen too many pictures of those poor folks paraded on TV and executed. It's just not worth it and all my colleagues seem to share that opinion!

Each night I lay there, too hot or too cold from the constant blowing of the a/c. I miss my wife and kids. You can't help but... I don't get the the tickle bugs or the kisses or the hugs or anything. I really miss it! There is no sound of my wife's breathing at night only the constant drone of the a/c. And during the day, I have more disappointment. It would all be more bearable if I was making headway and at least knew I was being productive and could see an end-date. That would really help make the time pass or bouy my spirits. At the moment however I can only hope that "tomorrow will be better".

Ann sent me with pictures in a small album of our daughters and of our family and that at least helps when the homesickness is really bad. I can close my eyes and remember their hugs and laughter. I can remember and hectic evenings, the cries in the night, and I can remember why I want to finish all this darned work and go home. That is my only solice. Well, that and hope for tomorrow to be better. These are some of what I think about at night when I miss the smells of my wife and kids... The sounds of the dog roaming from the bathroom to the sitting room... The air from the ceiling fan and the quiet frustration of life in suburbia (come on folks, am I the only one that thinks about the trim paint, yard and other frustrations at night when everyone is asleep?). Like Ann said, I'm not whining but I am trying to get some of this down and to remember...

Well, I just received an e-mail I have been waiting for and it is time to call Germany and find out where my software is. "Today I will get something of this work done." I will be one day closer to home...

2 comments:

Canton Mommy said...

Well, you never seem that happy with the night time cries when you are here.... maybe you can get up some of the times when you get home so that you can love them even more.

Derek said...

Geez, I've gotten so used to nearly complete darkness & silence when I go to sleep (except for heat/air when needed), I'm not sure I'd even be able to sleep if that were disturbed. Yet another reason I will remain single...

And the avoidance of external painting and yard work were reasons for buying a townhouse (where it's covered in my monthly fee).

My main concern is where is my income going to come from. That can keep me up at night.