Friday, November 04, 2005

The Allure of Awake


Darling Emma has not been sleeping much lately. We have moved to a toddler bed and the idea that she can get out whenever she opens her eyes is just too much for a little kid to handle. So she is UP. She is up until late, late hours of the night (sometimes 1 or 2 AM). She is up when she is supposed to lay down and nap. She is up from her nap before it is halfway over. She is up by 6:30 in the morning. She is, as we called her when she was an infant, WAKEY BABY. So this morning, she toddled into our bedroom at 6:20 and announced, "It's morning.". She says it with a tone that sounds like an answer or explanation. Almost as if I have already said, "Emma, go back to bed," and she has the defense attorney's answer ready to go: "It's Morning". This is the usual procedure, although some days it happens a couple of minutes later. Jim was up, getting ready for work. So he takes her over to the window and says, "Do you see the sun, honey? It's just getting up! Do you see it coming?" "YES!" I should point out here that the main argument until now has been that too early exists when the sun isn't up yet. *AHEM*.

So he takes both girls downstairs (because Emma cannot leave her own bedroom without making sure Mary knows it is time to get UP), and I grudgingly follow, still in my glasses and pajamas. On a good day, I get dressed and make the bed, then go to the girl's bedroom and get them changed and dressed before we go downstairs. Today we will be lucky to be presentable before 9:30, which is odd since we were up before 7. So I come down slightly behind everyone, and my wonderful husband has got the milk for the kids and turned on the TV. I look and notice that Noddy, Emma's current favorite program, is on. I say to Jim, "Noddy's on right now? That was fortuitous." No, it turns out he put on a recording to avoid Barney and Bob the Builder. I told him that my rule is it is too early for Noddy or Dora before 8 AM, because otherwise she is EXCITED about coming downstairs and seeing the TV, making the early morning even more thrilling. It was about then that Jim realized he had made being awake early fun and exciting for Emma. And he wonders why I wake up in a bad mood.

1 comment:

Lochmoor Mom said...

Today Lochmoor princess woke at 5am. It's been that way since the time change. I didn't go in there till 6:30. My body wouldn't let me. Just for more giggles, my princess has her first runny snot cold. Yea me. She won't eat and is beyond crabby. Again, yea me. she has learned how to crawl up the slide but can't get down resulting in screams and cries that get on my very last nerve. One more time....yea me.