Saturday, November 12, 2005

Lunch

I went grocery shopping this morning. I avoided Meijer's, where I will browse every aisle from tires to toys and find more things to buy. So instead I went to Farmer Jack's where I last picked up a huge check for the landscaping we are doing. They have a full service bank right inside, next to the Organic Papaya juice. Odd. But I had to go see if they ever sent the checks out to go with the Home Equity stuff, and they did not. I got to talk to the Superman Impersonator again. I suspect the reason he wears the shield of Kahlal (is that the right spelling?) on his watch is actually because he has been alerted to his amazing likeness to Clark Kent. Anyhow, I went there because they have little car attachments on the front of their carts that include BUCKLES so that two children(namely, mine) cannot randomly get out and run down the aisle. So I strapped the girls in, tight in the small cab. So while Mary tried to push Emma out of the little car and Emma pulled Mary's hair to make her stop (or maybe to other way around, I wasn't paying that much attention), I bought groceries. I know I was hungry because of some of the things that I don't normally buy ended up in my cart, such as Pumpkin Pie, Whipped Cream, Doritos, Cookie Dough (that is for Emma, I swear), and a Caesar Salad kit. The salad kit was the only lettuce on sale and it was actually cheaper than buying a bag of plain lettuce. It was also at the beginning of the shopping trip, when I was not yet hungry, or so I thought. So that leads me to my fabulous lunch:

Doritos
Coca Cola
cookie Dough

I know I said it was for Emma, but that is only AFTER it is cooked. The kids had fish. I'm pretty much a stickler for someone in the house having nutritious food. Once that requirement is satisfied, bring on the Pumpkin Pie.

4 comments:

Lochmoor Mom said...

What an odd lunch.....almost as strange as mine. We went to sam's club and tast tested everything at least once. The mini eclairs...I took a second one and told the lady I needed a second one to truly make up my mind on the sale.:) No I didn't buy.

Derek said...

First off, I'm actually going to thank you. Thank you for keeping the ankle biters strapped and not running around. Since it's not socially acceptable to run over children with a shopping cart, you removed that temptation from your fellow shoppers. And yes, I have actually thought of doing that to someone's kids who wouldn't shut up or stop running around.

Secondly, I don't know if they're doing this by you, but the Target by me has recently added a grocery store. This has caused a bit of a dilema, as I'm now not sure if I should by things that need to be refrigerated or frozen, as I go there before going to the grocery store every Saturday morning. The vast majority of items are cheaper at Target (including orange juice and waffles), but I still need to go to Harris Teeter (the grocery store) for deli items. Just a thought as a way to avoid Meijer.

Canton Mommy said...

Derek- I have wanted to run over those same kids, believe me. And I should Thank You as well, for problem solving from hundresd of miles away - which is actually closer than my own husband at the moment. However, Target does not carry bananas, which my children seem to eat by the gross. As well, they carry reasonably priced children's clothes, shoes, books, DVDs, etc, etc, which is what I am trying to avoid seeing and buying. Good ideas, though.

Derek said...

Yes, Target is missing produce and deli departments, and given your need for bananas, would eliminate that option. On the plus side, the toys are now in the back of the store, which you wouldn't need to go past. Feeling as poor as I do now, the temptation to buy anything unnecessary is pretty much gone for me. In fact, right now my house is around 77 degrees inside. While I could open the windows to cool it off, I'd rather store the warm air to prolong the time needed before I need to turn the heat on.