Monday, February 13, 2006

She's Come Undone

I am undone by Emma. Completely undone. There was a simple task today: I had a handful of paintchip colors and I wondered if she would pick one or two that she liked. I thought it may even help me with how to do her room. So I laid out the 8 colored squares in a random order and asked her if she liked any of those colors. "No, mama. Not like that, that's messy. Like this." Then she arranged them in 2 perfect rows of 4. Ok, fine. So then I asked her again, moving some of them around to make four choices of pairs of colors that would look nice together. "You have to put them like this, mama." And then she brought to my attention the little Dora figure in the top right corner. All of which had to be, well, in the top right corner. We were not able to pick colors with Dora being all turned around upside down and whatnot. Ok, fine. So then I asked her again. Emma picked up the colors one by one and stacked them neatly, with an extra tap on the edge to make sure they are all lined up. "Here, mama. These are your colors." So I laid them out in a circle, trying to see if she liked one over any others. And I asked again. Emma began to pick up some and rearrange the order of the colors, saying to me, "And this one goes there, and this one goes over here...". I gave up. I absolutely broke into giggles and laughed until I cried, right there on the dining room floor. Not that I am depending on her opinion to decorate this room, it is just that she has expressed opinions about clothes and colors in the past and I thought I would see what she would say. Well, it seems she was a little on the obsessive compulsive side today and as not about to pick a favorite color from such unruly squares of paper. Mary, who got to the pile later, really liked to throw them up in the air and let them rain down on her. If I had asked Emma which one was her favorite then, she may have just gone and picked them up - in correct color order - and handed a tidy stack back to me. I am just completely undone by her!

No comments: