Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day


It was a sensible but wet Mother's Day here in our household. I did not get breakfast in bed, but I have never really wanted that. So I got up and stayed in my pajamas, which is something I seldom do. Emma helped Jim make pancakes for breakfast while Mary and I read some books. It would have been too hectic for him to work with both girls while trying to use a griddle. We all ate breakfast and wonderful gifts followed. Jim had taken Emma out last night to find a gift for me. She picked out a pretty costume jewelry necklace and earring with rhinestone flowers. Not too sparkly, but nice enough to wear to an event. They were quite tasteful. Both the girls had made cards, under Jim's supervision last night in the craft area. I was required to stay in the room, just in case (of what, I am not sure), but everything went fine. I think he was surprised at how difficult it was to have them use craft materials. HEE! So the cards had little statements on them from the girls, which Jim wrote down exactly as each girl had said, which means Emma's read "I love you sooooooo, I do, YES I DO!" and Mary's read "This Mama's right there, no Daddy that miiiiiiiiinnnnnne!". Very touching, I think Hallmark should hire them both.

There was many minutes of calling Grandmas and recounting every minute of the last 2 days on the phone, and various other mundane activities that fill up a day with toddlers. Jim changed stinky diapers and I spent a lot of the day playing dollhouse and hide and seek. Not by myself, mind you. Emma is a whiz at it. During naptime I went out for a walk for no reason except that I could do it all by myself and even though it was a bit soggy out, it was a wonderful time for walking. After dinner, we tried to get a Mother's day picture of me and my happy girls, but it didn't really work too well. The one on this page is the closest it got to a good picture. And that is a raincoat that Mary's wearing. I had the bright idea we would go for a walk after dinner, but it began pouring right as we got ready to go out, which was way too much rain for some little raincoat, but Mary had gotten all excited about putting on her coat that the dear thing would just not take it off again. So she wore it until I changed her into PJ's, which was much like trying to invade a small country since she is very attached to said raincoat.

So another Mother's Day gone until next year. Really I can only think that next year Mary won't be so hard to get to smile in a picture. Maybe she will even sit still. And so goes another day in the journey.

1 comment:

Lydia Netzer said...

I like how you all have bangs. It makes a very strong statement. A bang-related statement. We here, we like bangs, it says. We are all about bangs, and we don't care who knows it.

:) :) :)