Thursday, March 24, 2005

Colors of Fun

Emma and I died Easter Eggs today. It was only four, yet somehow my hands are stained all over. Emma's, too, but that goes without saying. My little decorator had certain ideas about how long each egg should be left in each color. She would check them carefully with the egg loop, and proclaim them non acceptable and drop them (from a greater height then necessary) back in. Once they had steeped for an unspecified amount of time, she tried to dump them out. That didn't work so well, so I took them out and she directed where each on should be placed on the paper towel. When we had done 3 eggs we mixed the blue dye into the pink and watched it turn "burple". The purple egg was about to stay in the solution forever, but I rescued it. I let Emma play with 2 of the empty egg cup and some (plain) water while I cleaned up. I watched what she would have done with the colored water, had she gotten the chance. There was some not so specific transferring from one vessel to another, and then the contents eventually ended up on the newspaper covered counter. Sure glad that wasn't the dye.

2 comments:

Derek said...

Man, it's been so long since I've dyed (not died, as you indicated) Easter eggs, I almost forgot that people did that. I am glad to hear that nothing was ruined during the procedure.

By the way, I'd suggest not starting off any more columns with, "Emma and I died". It might be a little disconcerting to the husband and other relatives.

Canton Mommy said...

Well apparently it has been so long since I've done them that I forgot there was a spelling difference. I suppose you could argue that something, somewhere had to die for us to dye. I could, but I won't.