Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Mum and Papa

I packed the girls up today right after breakfast and trucked up to my Mom's house for the day. Emma had a blast chasing the "Meow-meows" and playing in her "house" and on her "dide" (slide). She has named my mother "Mum", which is her version of what she hears me call her on the telephone. Mary mostly ate, which is what Mary does. My mom even mentioned that it seems that am always feeding her. Like you had to tell ME. Oddly enough, she (Mary) only wants to eat if it comes in a bottle form or on a spoon. Don't even talk to her about nursing, since it obstructs her view of the Very Interesting Things occurring around her. That is only one of the many reasons I am weaning her - or more correctly, she is weaning herself.

Nothing funny to note, except one incident that we keep recounting from last week. Since we are still laughing about it, I should tell it here. Here's the setup: I am sitting on the floor holding Mary in a sitting position when she spits up on herself, me, and the rug. I asked Emma to get me a tissue for Mary, which Emma is very adept at doing. Usually she gets a tissue and pretends to sneeze so convincingly that I sometimes mistake it for real sneezing. So she got a tissue and figured Mary didn't really need it, since she was having a full blown hay fever attack. She took 2 steps and sneezed - fake sneezed, but with her WHOLE body. Kind of like a spontaneous crunched up bow. Then she sneezed again (covering her mouth politely with the tissue she had retrieved). And again. This child could not take a step without "sneezing". Even once she reached me she could not stop sneezing long enough to relinquish the tissue. As a matter of fact she would not let go of it because she was in such dire straights with her "sneezing". I had to get up and get my own darn tissue in the end, because hers was in tatters. By that time the spit-up had nearly dried and left stains. But we keep laughing, and we tell ourselves it was because of the sneezing.

No comments: