Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Emma the Conversationalist

Yesterday we took advantage of the sunny weather and went for a nice stroll, the girls and I. We called up Tricia and her 1 year old daughter, Zoe, to join us in some brief exercise. As we were walking along, Emma greeted Zoe ("HI!") a minimum of 4 times and then pointed to her new shoes and said (predictably) "Shoes". Zoe looked indifferent, so Emma repeated the whole conversation with more emphasis. She did this periodically for the whole walk. It occurred to me that she was telling her friend about her new shoes (see last post). They learn so young.

While riding in the car yesterday, Emma and I had a conversation in the way of 20 questions. If I asked the right questions, she would give me answers. Real answers, not just "yes" or "no"! So here was the very first interactive conversation I had with my daughter:

"Emma, what's next to us?" Long pause.....

"Car."

"Yeah! Emma, what did you have for breakfast?"

"Food." This kid is a laugh a minute.

"What kind of food?"

"Toast."

"What else?"

"Milk."

"Yes, and what else?"

"Traw-berries."

"Good job, Emma! What do you want for lunch?"

"Food."

"What kind of food?"

"Noodles."

"Noodles?"

"Yes." This refers to mac and cheese, if you were wondering.

"And what else?"

"Tea." (She likes iced tea)

Emma then lost interest in my banal conversation and pointed out that there were houses we were passing. This was my first real conversation. If you are bored by it, wait until she is 4 and I post conversations. Then again, check back when she is 13 and you should be greatly entertained.

No comments: