Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Hero, the movie

The truth is I am coming out of the closet. That would be the closet of martial arts fans who will not admit they like karate movies. I like them. I particularly like the ones with silly sound effects and bad dubbing. They are even better with some native flute music. It is something I have hidden from the world until recently. I guess it took being caught in the act of watching a Jackie Chan flick by a friend of mine who will not stop talking about the incident. Most kind people would quietly forget, but not this friend. So, here I am, exposed for all the blog readers to see. I like martial arts movies. I don't normally endorse movies, but I was thoroughly impressed by this one. Hero is a karate action film along the lines of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (which I did not see yet). These are the things that amazed me about this film:


· Most stunts done by the actors
· All filming done on location, no green screen add ins
· It was dubbed and I forgot to notice I watched an entire movie with subtitles.
· There was a complex and multi layered story
· There was an unforeseen twist at the end
· The actors were REALLY good

It was "presented by" Quentin Tarantino, who is a brilliant director and a chop-chop movie fan of the biggest proportion (is it also out of character that I like his movies? Kill Bill has a lot of martial arts in it, too). He had nothing to do with the film directly except to tag his name to add credibility. It was a great movie and I think I might even purchase the DVD.

There you go; see the film.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, me too, me too!!!!! I could spend a weekend (prior to being a parent) watching martial arts movies. Jackie Chan is a big fav. Something to add to 'things you didn't know about me' besides loving karate movies is that I even earned my firts belt in karate in the early 90's. I haven't seen Croching Tiger, Hidden Dragon yet either....we should see it together. P

Derek said...

Make sure you pass along a Happy Birthway wish to the Queen of Escape.

Canton Mommy said...

Thank you, Derek. That means a lot comming from my nemesis.

Derek said...

Hey, I had to get the kid started on her "Terrible Twos" on the right foot. [Insert evil laugh here]