Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Conspiracy of Pink

Well, it seems my inconsistencies have been outed. Now, to explain to Tinybites why I had to list that I Hate Pink yet happened to be wearing a shirt of the EXACT color in a picture I posted, I must go into the whole story of Pink Hatred. If you are not interested in the reasons behind Pink Hatred, you should click on a favorite on the side of your browser now, or type in something on your address bar IMMEDIATELY, because here begins the pinkness.

I can't say when it was, exactly, when I started hating pink. I know in grade school and junior high I was fairly amenable to the color, and even clearly remember buying clothes in the wonderful soft madras of pink and grey in the mid and late 80's. Karol may recall the outfit that she, Amy, and I all owned that was a wonderful rendition of that exact theme. In my freshman yearbook picture (go ahead, Derek, check it out) I am wearing a pink striped sweater. I am also looking a bit loopy and I still attribute that to the filling I had done the same morning and the resulting migraine, but I digress. I believe it was somewhere around sophomore year that I realized my ultimate goal of no longer being a little girl. Please recall that in the decades past, fashions tended to accent the adult that would be coming rather than the child that was being left behind. There was no cute little character t-shirts that girls wore to school. We were 15 and we wore heels to school and looked like the next corporate cutthroat. So I ditched the pink. It became my idea that pink was infantile and cute. I have spent most of my life trying to get rid of the "cute" factor. And so it began. There was the period of accidental avoidance, where I just ignored the clothes in my closet that were pink. Then the more deliberate not-buying things that were pink. Eventually that led to the active dislike and purging of all things pink. By the time I was 16 and off to Spain, it was widely accepted that I Hated Pink. By the time I got married, there were gag gifts all in pink at my shower (go ahead- think of EVERYTHING). Then I got pregnant and found out I was having a girl. That was the antithesis of Pink Hatred and a sign that the Conspiracy of Pink had won. I persevered, I tell you. I painted the nursery robin egg blue and made it a bunny theme, with flowers to make it more feminine. I bought little dresses in blue and yellow. I stockpiled the cutest red outfits you could find. Then, shortly after Emma was born and I was happily Pink Free, people started buying into the Pink Conspiracy. The fact is that every baby is androgynous until we hear a gender specific name or see gender clues, such as PINK. So even in the most flowery red outfits or the prettiest blue dresses people took to be gender clues of the wrong distinction. They referred to my dearest little girl as a BOY. Since I grew up with a non-gender specific name, this was a sore spot. This is where the Pink Conspiracy had begun the moment I was born, laying the foundation for the day when I had to give in to Pink. I went out and bought the PINKEST dresses, headbands, sweaters and pants I could find and dressed my daughter in nothing but Pink. With daughter number 2 I didn't even put the other clothes on. Just Pink. Then that color began to creep into my thinking. Oh, I would say, that pink sweater is quite pretty. Look at that book cover, I really like the pink and green scheme. Suddenly I was realizing my choices of wardrobe pieces were coming down to blue or pink. The green choice is frequently too garish. The purple is well, purple, and doesn't match many things except, um, pink. So when faced with Kohl's table of sweaters I am sometimes forced to take the Pink. Then, to top it off, it is a color that looks great on me. I glow. I hum with a happiness of pink that most people look for with every thing they put on. In truth, Pink suits me. But I still hate it, just on principal.

11 comments:

Derek said...

Did you get a color yearbook? Except for the first few pages, mine's all black-and-white. I have no idea what color you were wearing. It's just light or dark. In your case, it's something light, possibly almost white. (And yes, I did check).

I did mention that my staff covered my cubicle in pink wrapping paper on my 30th birthday, right? They would have put up black, but were afraid I might like it too much and leave it up.

Canton Mommy said...

Derek- I forgot the yearbooks were in black and white. But I bet the stupid look I've got came through wonderfully.

McBetty- Ha. Nice try. I won't be revealing that online any time soon. And I would thank any "helpful" person to refrain from sharing as well.

Lochmoor Mom said...

Holy Toledo! I speak with you nearly every day and I had no idea you held such loathful feeling towards pink.

Lydia Netzer said...

Hmm... I don't remember any of that alleged transition you detailed that supposedly happened during high school.

I think you made it all up.

I remember you wearing relentless pink every day of the week. IN FACT, name one thing you ever wore that wasn't pink!

...

I thought not.

Derek said...

Really, I'd like to share the name. Usually, I would do that, given my nemesis roll and everything. Some strange force must have taken over. Too bad for your readers, huh? You should be thankful that I didn't CAPITALIZE on my chance to disclose the answer in some sort of hidden way and START some kind of backlash that would SENTENCE me to a punishment.

Derek said...

Oh, and an almost late Happy Birthday to the sticker chick. And no, I didn't arrange to have any smuggled in this year.

Canton Mommy said...

HA! Tinybites - IT'S GOT YOU. The Pink has LEAKED into your brain and changed your memories. I told you this was serious, folks.

Canton Mommy said...

Derek- your altruism is heartwarming. As designated nemesis, I realize you are, in fact, required to do dasterdly things. However, I think this is so measely a conquest - I would be GIVING it to you - that you cannot compromise your art for it. Yes, that is it, I think.

Derek said...

Or maybe the answer is hidden in my response. My response had 5 sentences, which corresponds to the number of letters in the name. Each sentence also begins with a different letter...

I was hoping someone would catch that by now.

Canton Mommy said...

Oh, Derek, you are just a peach.

Derek said...

Or something that rhymes with peach.