Thursday, March 30, 2006

Martha

Well, I did it. I mailed an invitation to Martha Stewart to come to dinner at my house sometime in June - whatever date is convenient for her. I am not sure where this all began, apart from one night when I was half asleep I had convinced myself that she would come if I just asked her. I was even planning where she would fly in and what to make for dessert. So I told a friend. She dared me to do it. I think she even double-dog dared me. So I tossed the idea around. I told another friend. She thinks I am certifiably crazy but is nice enough to not say it out loud. I told my dinner club. Oh! That was then end of it. They said I should invite her to the dinner club that I am hosting. One of my neighbors really jumped on the bandwagon and started giving me ideas on how I could sell it to Martha - I think that particular neighbor is in marketing, to be honest. Then I got FOLLOW UP EMAILS on the subject. So I wrote a letter. It was a sad and feeble letter - something along the lines of: "Martha, you are awesome, you are so great, you are really incredible how do you DO it??? And please come over for dinner. " Then Jim helped me hammer some nice things into it and I sent it to the marketing genius for input. Them I made an invitation. I really liked it and made an envelope to match. So I wrote out the letter by hand and got a nice picture of the village atmosphere and today I went to the post office and sent it off.

I'm actually a little embarrassed to admit that I've done such a bold thing, but it cannot be undone now. If nothing happens, I can whine about it here. If I get a pretty letter of regret I can crow about it here, fold the letter nicely and keep it in my Martha Stewart cookbook for entertaining - because THAT would be irony. If Martha's people call me up and issue a restraining order, I can mutter over it here, too. And if, by the REMOTEST possibility, my humble invitation is accepted, you will be able to follow my every little obsession about the planning and preparation right here with me. Now, won't that be FUN?

8 comments:

Claire said...

That's awesome! What are you gonna make for dessert?

Cxx

Derek said...

If she tries to give you any financial advise, grab the kids and run. Run far, run fast, run free. Just run.

And just for the record, I was wrong. I was thinking the invite was for a certain someone's birthday, who happens to have the same initials as Martha. Granted, it would have been a bit early, but that's what I was thinking.

Canton Mommy said...

Wrong? That would make at least 8 times then, according to your blog. Now you MUST tell me who you thought it was. Wow, I can't believe you underestimated me when I thought you had me pegged. HA!

Derek said...

I thought it was a birthday party for Mary. Silly me, thinking a parent might be focused more on that than sending an invite to Martha Stewart.

Canton Mommy said...

Oh, OUCH, I hurt! Well, then you did not read the part that said the initials were for the person I was sending the invite TO. Huh. Better luck next time! But FYI, I did hand make Mary's invites for her 1 year party last July.

Derek said...

I read it, and naturally assumed you would send an invite to the person the party is FOR.

Lochmoor Mom said...

Firstly, I don't think you are certifiably crazy for doing this, for other things perhaps, but not for inviting Martha for dinner. Secondly, I told you someone would mistake MS for your daughter!!!!

Derek said...

At least I quickly eliminated the multiple sclerosis possibility, which really was my first thought. Not that hosting a fundraiser for that would be a bad idea or anything.