Friday, March 24, 2006

Workout Surprise

We finally edged Emma back into Lifetime's child care area. It is actually very cool, with lots of fun, FUN things to do. But last week she went with Jim and he was there later than her bedtime. She got very upset about some vague incident where "someone was mean to her". In the mind of our delicate little 3 year old, that could mean someone did not stop walking past her when she thought she was talking to them. So, since last Wednesday she has been on absolute REFUSAL to go to the fitness center. I spent the better part of this week gently working her back in. That means I went to the fitness center 3 times this week and did not get to work out at all. Tonight it all paid off and she was her normal, happy self about it. So Jim and I were on the treadmills doing a warm up and who should be next to us but our very own next door neighbors. Yes, the ones who have 2 of 3 kids the exact same ages as ours and we hardly see or talk to. I am not sure if it our schedules or theirs that causes this oddity, but there you have it. All 4 of us were happily working out on consecutive treadmills and not speaking. I can't believe we had to go out to get that.

Honestly, though, what oddness is that? We run into so many neighbors there it is crazy. What is a little sad is that it is Friday night and we all go to the fitness center. None of us are getting together with friends or going out for fun. We are sweating off our little fat cells and ignoring the fact that we all know each other. It is an odd thing to work out right next to someone you know distantly. You feel compelled to talk, but really can not. The whole thing needs some etiquette book addressing the matter. I wonder what Emily Post would say about chance meetings during couple work out sessions. It is all just to weird for me, I'm going to bed.

3 comments:

Lochmoor Mom said...

This has happened to me once!! I did end up chatting with this neighbor and turns out it's better to workout in silence. I had to hear about how she was fired and lost her insurance agency...blah, blah, blah. Guess this explains why she was at the gym and not out having fun. I was there with the hubs because we have no social life and at the time no kids. My rule of thumb when running into neighbors at the gym is to politely nod and smile and then begin to adjust the headseat while looking at the TV to show that I'm not intersted in conversation. That's what I used to do when I did workout!!!

Lydia Netzer said...

I think it's fantastic when I run into people I know at the gym! Sitting on adjacent stationary bikes is the only time I can have conversations without the distraction of the tiny chickens running around and clucking and pecking at each other. You know! But then, I do run to chatter.

Diane said...

I think you've found an untapped niche: "Etiquette in Modern Life". Your chapters should include health clubs, grocery stores, and public bathrooms... to start! I'll look forward to reading this.