Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Always Expect the Unexpected

Well, dear Reader, I am running on little sleep today. I cannot sleep when Jim travels. I have the hardest time going to sleep or getting sleepy. I dither about going to bed, and then I read until I pretty much pass out from exhaustion. So last night I fell asleep about 3:30 or 4 am. Then I got up around 7:15 with the girls. Nap time was a disaster - 1 hour cumulative nap for Mary Lee. Need I say more? I did not get any additional rest today. After Emma got up I took the kids for a walk to get them out of the house. We went over to my friend Trica's house (pronounced Tricia, just spelled funny) to visit her and her 16 month old daughter, Zoe. We decided to stay outside in her yard and Trica filled up the kiddy pool. Well, Reader, I had not planned on a water affair, so off came the girl's dresses. You must realize that I am fully against infant and toddler nudity (partial or otherwise), especially outside of one's own house. So, this was a big concession to some summertime fun. Well, then Emma's pull-up diaper got so inflated that it literally slid off. So I took Mary's diaper off too, after realizing it was the size of Montana. I not kidding here; I have seen a lot of wet diapers in my day and these two were the largest. I think the pool had to be refilled as well. But I digress. So Emma, who is on again / off again potty trained (still coming off of the bladder infection) , was buck naked in the pool and announced that she had to "make pee-pee". What do you think I did? The non-Mommy Ann (the one who would not had even considered HALF naked children in the private, fenced-in courtyard on an impromptu water play date) would have asked to use the bathroom and rushed the anxious child inside and successfully deposited the offending excretions in the proper place, returned the bathing suit to it's wearer, and gone back outside and let her daughter finish playing. Mommy Ann of two toddlers screamed, "DON'T PEE IN THE POOL", swooped down and grabbed Emma, held her over the grass, and let her pee while she was dangling in the air, NAKED and wet. Emma was then unceremoniously splashed with pool water before being returned to her previous spot. I looked at Trica and said, "Let's never speak of this again". For reasons I cannot comprehend, she just laughed. Sure, I thought, YOUR kid wasn't going to pee in the pool - what was I supposed to do? Really, Reader, I thought I did a pretty good job of thinking fast. Now, if Trica never invites us over again, I will know that there was another option - I just don't know what it is. Trica did ask if this meant I was not going to capture this moment in Emma's scrapbook, so I think it was all good. I think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

>"Sure, I thought, YOUR kid wasn't going to pee in the pool"

Zoe is 16 months old. Wanna bet?

Does sound like a cool time.

McBetty

Derek said...

[In Beavis voice] Hngh. Hngh-hee. Hngh-hngh. You said "Pee".

[Back to normal] After the success of the last bodily function story, I'm starting to feel pandered to.

Lochmoor Mom said...

Holy crap, I cannot believe all the spam! Now that I'm beyond that. I think you took care of the situation very well! Kids have a way to humble us, don't they.

Canton Mommy said...

Yeah, the spam is getting annoying, so I changed some settings. Since they were all from Anonymous posts, now EVERYONE has to sign in to post. Sucks, but had to happen.

Canton Mommy said...

Derek- Pandered to? C'mon, do you SERIOUSLY think I had Emma water Trica's lawn just so I could write about it to humor you?! Maybe if ***I*** had peed on the grass...

Derek said...

No, I don't think you had Emma pee on the grass so you could pander to me. I just find it, well, interesting that mere days after the first bodily function story appears, a second one appears. This after several months of posting that don't involve peeing or pooping.

I'm not saying anything. I'm just pointing what I've noticed.