Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Dreaming and Decorating

Ok, readers, I am really lost in dreamy world. Let's pretend, for one minute, that I won a shopping spree at Pottery Barn. First, here is the idea for what my laundry room closet will turn out to be like (but in white): http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpcfurbchbch%7Crshop%2Fshpcfurbchbch%7Crshop%2Fshpcfurbch%7Crshop%2Fshpcfur%7Crshop%2Fpipcbabdvtptn%7Cgp5884%7Ck%7Cs&pkey=cfurbchbch&gids=p3616 . Wow that is a long link - but worth looking at. So, $560 right there, just to go in and remake closet. Ok - there's more - check out this duvet cover set - I realized when I washed sheets yesterday that we actually have THREADBARE spots in them. So, the new dream set :http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpcbabdvtptn%7Crshop%2Fshpcbabdvt%7Crshop%2Fshpcbab%7Crshop%2Fpipcfurbchbch%7Cgp3616%7Ck%7Crshop%7Cs&pkey=cbabdvtptn&gids=p5884 . Wow - another long link. But wait, I've only just begun. Let's talk about the kids' rooms/furniture. At some point they will have to have beds as opposed to the nice, convenient cribs the currently have. So, I am IN LOVE with this bed :http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpak%7Ccfrnbrd%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fk%2Fshpak%7Ccfrn%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fk&pkey=cfrnbrd%7Cak&gids=k4165 - Madeline headboard, and it would great with a trundle bed or 2 for friends to sleep over. That runs about $700-1000 each bed. No problem, who needs that extra money laying around? And go ahead and look at the Madeline dresser while you're at it, and the Madeline Storage Desk. Let's move on to bedding: The Charlotte bedding - comforter and sheeting - is ideal for frilly girl's bedrooms. I am also enchanted with the solid matelesse (sp?) throw covers. MAN OH PETES this is awful. But, in my head, I have furnished the bedrooms (including my own) with piles of soft patterns and warm colors, all in Pottery Barn style. **SIGH**. Even if I won a shopping spree there, It would be enough money for all of it. Maybe just the bedding for us, and part of the bench/wall system for the new laundry room area. Yeah, that's it..... The kids can sleep in cribs until they are 6, right?

9 comments:

Diane said...

OK - Pottery Barn Kids - eep! I remember shopping there but never actually buying anything. I figured (rightly) that my kids would want to change anything I picked out, so I was better off buying something inexpensive! But it's a nice dream.

Canton Mommy said...

I an glad someone is finally responding to my posts! I was begining to thinkn obady really read this. One Diane's comment, I seem to remember a BRIGHTLY striped wallpaper you hated until you went to college, although the story is you picked it out yourself. Conversely, I recall a beautiful yellow floral wallpaper my mom picked out for me when I was 6 that I loved until the day it was removed - when I was 17. The only time I was allowed to pick out my own room decorations was when I choose a Holly Hobit bedspread, which my mom had to pry the shreads out of my fingers when it badly needed to be replaced. I'm not saying my girls won't want to change what I pick out, only that I give that little consideration when daydreaming. Also when I can pull rank ;)!

Lochmoor Mom said...

Dream away girl, and decorate your way.
When I lived at home I didn't get to choose anything till I was old enough to pay for any changes. So, when my parents decided to paint my room pink and slap white french provincial furniture from sears in my room when I was eight or nine, it was a done deal. As my mother always said to me " you can decorate any way you want when you have your own house".
So, pull rank. It's your dream.

Diane said...

I loved that wallpaper when I picked it out. I just hadn't planned to live with it for the next ten years.

Trust me - decorate in Dora. But budget for changes :-)

Derek said...

Decorate? Why would someone decorate? Wouldn't the money be better used to fund their education? I've been in my house for 5-1/2 years now, and I've put up a row of shelves in the garage, and two ceiling fans to help cool things upstairs (one of which went up in July when the parents were here). I may not paint anything until I'm ready to sell.

Lochmoor Mom said...

Derek, you're a piece of work! Giggle, snort!

Canton Mommy said...

I was going to leave this one alone, due to the, um, Spirited nature of the discussion. But I am convinced that if the kid does not know there is a possibility of making a choice (or you squash all inquiries as such), that she will not know any difference from Pottery Barn or Sears French Provencial, especially at the tender age of 2 or 3. This does not preclude character bedspreads or wall decorations, but I'll be damned if I'm buying a Dora twin sized headboard.

Derek said...

They don't need a choice, at least not until they're getting an allowance and are willing to spend their own money to decorate the way they want. I'd think a couple of posters of SpongeBob or Bert & Ernie would be plenty.

Lochmoor Mom said...

Derek, now you are talkin' my language!