Thursday, August 25, 2005

Single Mom

When I say that, I don't really refer to the fact that my nomadic Husband is humoring his vagabond shoes. I mean that my oldest daughter was spirited away faster than I could even comprehend earlier this morning. So I am a mother of one child today, which means the title should read "Single Child", but it does not. Being Mommy to a single child after managing two is like only having to carry one paper bag of groceries to the car unaided instead of, say, twenty. So I thought, for posterity, that I would post a picture of what Mary gets to do when Emma is not here. Yes, Emma, that is a cookie that Mary is enjoying. I am sure she misses you-Somewhere in there.

So why was Emma removed from the house? Well, Reader, I think I mentioned that raging sinus infection that sent me weeping and crawling to the doctor last Saturday. Well, it has not improved one whit (what the heck is a whit, anyway?), so my Mom took Emma home with her in an attempt to lighten the load over here. I have never been so happy to say good bye to my mother - or my daughter, for that matter. My mom had come over earlier this week (in response to my BEGGING her on Monday, at a point when the needles behind my eyes would not let me see straight) to stay and help me with the girls. Today she had to go to my Brother's house to watch his daughter Katelyn while he worked, so instead of running over there and leaving me to sob on the couch while my children tried to prove the Survival of the Fittest Theory, she sagely left with one of them, promising to return by dinner. I called the Doctor. The rotten, not very understanding, removed from the situation Doctor told me that it may take 10 to 14 days on the antibiotic (Bactrim) for any noticeable changes to occur. And that it may really take up to 21 days to knock this out of my system.
I cried.
I told her I had 2 small children that were in danger of being eaten by their sick and bedraggled mother. I explained that my husband will be gone for 2 more weeks and I just couldn't POSSIBLY endure that amount of time if I didn't feel better than this. Please, I begged, isn't there ANYTHING else that can be done?

"Get some rest."

Just recalling that conversation makes me want to cry again.

8 comments:

Lochmoor Mom said...

A whit is the same measuerment as a tad but less than a smidge.
I'm so sorry about your nasty doctor. Did you yell at her and tell her you wanted the 'fast acting' Bactrim? I just love when doctors tell mothers of young children to 'get some rest' Um, yeah. Tell her you will be at her office in 15 minutes to drop off your little angels so you can go get some rest.
Feel better.

Derek said...

Wait a minute. Let me see if I understand this. Us single people are supposed to give you gifts when you have a kid, endure the pictures, and listen to the stories. Then when you don't feel well, we're supposed to feel sorry that you can't get rest because of the kids that you brought on yourself? Nope, sorry. Not feelin' that one.

And people wonder why I'm not married.

Canton Mommy said...

Um, I don't recall asking for any gifts from you for these kids. I also don't think I have sent you any unsolicited pictures aside from the ones on this blog, WHICH YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ. But, if you would like to wallow in your self-pity bachelorhood, I could put you on my regular Ofoto distribution list. I also don't recall asking anyone to feel sorry for me. And the Doctor, by the way, is a Mrs. with 2 small children herself. All I was asking for was GOOD DRUGS and a reprieve from this blinding, 2 week long headache. And you are implying that the kids are somehow the cause of this particular headache, which they are not. Also, the stinkin' married parents that have jobs get to get AWAY from screaming offspring for some amount of time, which stay-at-home parents do not. And when they get sick, THEY can take their kids to daycare, where they would have been anyways, and go home and sleep off any ailment without screaming ankle biters. Do not forgot that usually there are **2** parents in the same hemisphere, unlike right now when Jim is is Saudi. So if you want to fight mean, I should be seeing some rather expensive gifts (to make up for the delay) for EACH of my children showing up on my doorstep within the week from you, a request for matching 8 x 10 photots of the girls for your main living area, and an honest desire to see the 200+ pictures I just ordered from Ofofo to scrapbook. Otherwise, back off. I'm sick and mean and I will eat you.

And people wonder why I'm a bitch when I'm not feeling well.

Anonymous said...

Now that is telling him, Ann. Good for you. It is time for Derek to have a little empathy for others. Prayers for you. I do understand sinus infections and they are not fun and it is awful when they don't go away.
Mrs. B.

Diane said...

You go, girl. Sorry, Derek, but you're clueless on this one.

Ann - enjoy your time with Mary and I hope you get as much rest as you can. Take care.

Lochmoor Mom said...

Derek honey, do not bite off more than you can chew. For someone who has never walked a step in the shoes of a married with children person who is sick, I'd say send the gifts to Ann via Fed ex with a big huge note stating "I'm sorry for being an ass". That entry, Derek, was mean, rude and very uncalled for. For an educated person you surly have no social graces when it comes to posting on your 'friends' blog. Shame on you.

Canton Mommy said...

Well, I am honored and amazed at my friends who have taken offense with me and drawn the proverbial line in the sand. Thank you, all. I am sure, Derek, the skid marks will heal, but the scars may not. Nemesis, or no, you were apparently out of line, my friend.

Derek said...

Did someone get the license plate of the truck that just ran over me?

So, despite my current position of chief nemesis, I didn't mean to get you (or anyone else) THAT riled up. For that, I apologize. My comments reflected the actions of my former coworkers far more than yours. I do hope you feel better. And if by chance you've come to realize how strongly your friends will defend you against your nemesis, then something good has come out of this.