Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Crickets Sang

Playing the piano is very emotional, Reader. Sometimes I do it instead of crying and feel the same sort of relief afterwards. Sometimes I play until my fingers are numb and nearly limp from the exhaustion and demand of the anger that must come out somewhere and feel vindicated from the actual physical action. Sometimes I play to listen to the very songs that others spoke onto pages of notes and to hear their rages or sobs.

Tonight I opened up the living room window for the fresh air (and, I guess, to tell the world what needed to be said) and let Chopin orate - again and again - until I felt he had said all that he ever had to say through one waltz (Opus 69, no.2). I played it repeatedly from beginning to end like carousel music or a music box that did not need rewinding. Then I uncluttered the worn, dog-eared sheet music in front of me and presented a clean copy of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. After dizzying rounds of Chopin's waltz this music was a still pond at night.

And the crickets sang.

The sun had set while I was practicing and I did not realize until I was lost in Beethoven's laments and resolutions that the crickets were the only noise left besides my playing. When I had started out there were lawn mowers buzzing down the street, children squealing with excitement while playing outside, cars and motorcycles roaming past. People walked by and their conversation hovered and mixed with the notes, and they continued on as children went inside and outdoor activities were traded in on this, a school night. And at some point the crickets woke up after the warm sun left and started to carry on the way that crickets do every night, every where. But I will tell you, Reader, they are a moving companion to Beethoven.

4 comments:

Lochmoor Mom said...

I wish I could play anything worth while I my F@#$*ing piano. Oh yeah, I hate my piano too.

Canton Mommy said...

In truth, a complete absorbtion in a good CD version of Moonlight Sonanta would have been just as good if you had the crickets. They were amazing, I tell you. And at least with a CD you could have a smooth glass of dark, sweet wine to enhance the moment.

Diane said...

Music is very emotional. A song can move you to tears, or make you feel happy or silly, or anything in-between. Sounds like you poured your tension, your sadness, and your frustrations into the music - and found Ann again.

Crickets have their own music - I've often felt that it was a very comforting one. Perhaps they sang along with you.

Anonymous said...

Hm...maybe at your house. Not here. A while back the dog got fleas and I just bombed the carpet with anti-insect spray. In the last week, I've seen two gigantic, fat, and very dead crickets on the living room carpet of my quite bug-free and silent house. I felt sorry for the first one and spray painted it prior to gluing it to magnet strip.