Friday, January 14, 2005

The Book Bug

This entry is only about me. Not about the kids at all, so if that is why you are reading, you should skip this post. If you feel like reading on to see if my non-baby life is half as interesting as my baby laden life, then go right ahead. But really, it is pretty mundane without a toddler and an infant.

I went to the library today (without the girls) to pick up the next bookgroup book. It looks interesting and I wanted to get reading it since I have not managed to read the last 2 book selections. Since I technically run this group, I figure I should start reading the books again. So we are reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and the library did not have even one of the six copies in. I even tried the large print version. Just in case the computer was wrong (hey- it happens), I went to the aisle to check the shelf - just in case. It wasn't there. But there were some other books that I felt I just HAD to take with me. One of the few things I need in life is books. Not because I don't NEED books, but because I have an inordinate supply of unread books which I have hand picked as ones I REALLY WANT TO READ SOMEDAY. So, with 3 bookshelves full upstairs and an impending bookgroup assignment unfulfilled, I brought home 2 more books. The first book is The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus. I have heard this is good and since every other area of my life has been permeated by kids, why not the reading? The other book is A Spectacle of Corruption by David Liss. He wrote A Conspiracy of Paper, which is the first in this series, and a stand alone novel called The Coffee Trader. I just read this last one, which Avis gave me for Christmas. I just couldn't put the darn thing down. It was such a fabulous read that I wanted to get another book by him right away. Trader was set in 17th century Amsterdam and examined the emergence of a trading monopoly on the market. It is a great knot of conspiracies and puzzles about who is after whom and motives that are so intertwined that it is impossible to unravel them. I guess it would be some sort of financial historical thriller. Not my usual light read, but a great one nonetheless. Now I must say, in case someone takes me up on this recommendation, that the end was weak. But up until the last reveal, it was a great story. It reminds me of a book we read for an earlier bookgroup called The Alamo. Suzze will know which book I am talking about. That one had to do with the development of the A-bomb. I'm just writing that so you don't think I was reading a compelling mystery about the Texan revolution against Santa Anna. There was no mystery there that I am aware of. But I'll let you know about these books, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good heavens woman, why didn't you march right up to the circulation desk at the Canton library and have them bring in your book from another library in the district since they were out all six copies of their own? They can do title search in seconds and then they will send you a mailer or call you in a day or two when the book arrives. Unless I'm out of the loop (and that very well may be possible) Canton library is still part of WOLF (Wayne Oakland Library Federation) and they all lend books between counties. Did I ever tell you the scary tid bit that I once worked for WOLF? I put myself thru college working in the computer center on the main frame. How insane is that!!!! P.