Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Sticker Penance

Emma loves stickers. LOVES THEM. She thinks every book should be a sticker book, and tries to pull off any image she sees. We have taken to hiding the sticker books and bringing them out for timed occasions. A person can get VERY tired of playing stickers. Sticker time with Emma is now more odious than diaper changing. It used to be that we would try to get the other person to change a dirty diaper. Now, we get sticker penance. If one of us spends an overage of time on ourselves, causing the other person to be crazy-burdened with Cranky Toddler and Fussy Infant, then that person has to do Sticker Penance. For example, Jim spent a good amount of time getting the high score on Bejeweled and earned sticker penance. He choose, instead, to go out and spend almost an hour to clean up copious amounts of dog doo-doo in freezing cold, drenching rain instead of stickers. It is THAT bad.

6 comments:

Derek said...

You know, this whole thing keeps making me feel smarter and smarter. I'm sure this comment will bother Mom, who likes to check in on you from time to time. I think I'll just stick to looking at and listening to people with kids. This whole thing just doesn't sound like much fun.

So can we send scratch-and-sniff stickers to Emma? Do they even still make those?

Canton Mommy said...

No, no, and a thousand times no. I think that is pretty clear.

Anonymous said...

I plan on holding off on introducing my daughter to stickers for as long as humanly possible. I have a distaste for anything sticky including decorative little pieces of useless paper. My oldest and dearest friend's third daughter promply placed stickers all over her baby grand piano and newly decorated kitchen...that was decorated with wallpaper I might add. I decided back then should I ever have children that stickers were not an option and your blog has reconfirmed that! Never, ever introduce Victoria to stickers!!! They do not exist, not even in a controlled envirnmont!!!!! P.

Derek said...

GREAT!! A thousand scratch-and-sniff stickers it is!! And since you were kind enough to keep a running chart of little Miss Sticker's age, I'll know right when to send them, too! I'm sure Charlie will learn to love being covered in stickers that smell like boots and peas. Mary might enjoy them, as well.

I'm off to watch the AWSOME-O episode of South Park, which I TiVo'd. I'm really starting to like this thing.

Lydia Netzer said...

STICKERS!!!!!!!!

What makes sticker time so exactly bad? (she asked timidly) We mostly use stickers as REWARDS. Then they are placed directly onto some sort of chart-like device where they are stuck forever. OR there are those reusable stickers that don't really stick and can be unstuck even by small people. Maybe it's a girl thing and Benny just doesn't like stickers as much as Emma. I'm just asking... what does she do with them?

BTW Derek we watched tivo-d AWESOM-o last night.

Canton Mommy said...

Well, stickers themselves are not bad. It is just that Emma is OBSESSED with them and will spend from here until enternity asking you to pick off only one sticker which then has to find its exact right place in the universe (or, later in the book) and be carefully placed, replaced, and replaced again to get it just right. Then she starts over. It is, honestly, the longest, most tedious repetitive activity you can participate in with her. And she will do it continually for HOURS.