Saturday, January 22, 2005

Things That go Bump

I am woefully behind in blogging, so I will attempt to catch up while watching a show on the French Revolution on the History channel. It’s really very interesting – really!

Toddler lesson for Mommy: Emma likes to put things on her head and will continue to do so despite my best attempts. Her latest thing to put on her head is a mesh bag that holds her Little People toys. I used a mesh bag with the foresight that this might happen, so I was not terribly worried. After a sufficient amount of covered head play I decided that she might choke herself or something and removed the bag from the room. Not to be outdone, Emma located a canvas tote (with her name on it) and put that over her head to walk around for a while. A mesh bag has nice little holes over it that allows a clearness of vision that a canvas tote does not afford. She promptly, and not surprisingly, thumped herself on the head by running into a random table.

Emma is doing a lot of new things lately. She has recently discovered light switches. She can’t really reach them by herself (OK, she has a long way to go), so she cleverly uses tools to get to her target. Her first choice (if not her best) is her little push car riding toy. Well, it has WHEELS, so it is incredibly portable and useful when examining the power of various different light switches. It is also just the right height, if a toddler stretches way up on tippy toes and leans precariously against the wall, while twisting around to watch the light go on and off with the subsequent movement of the switch. I don’t think I need to elaborate any further.

My darling bumpy head daughter is finally using more words. She chatters constantly all day long and sometimes through the night. She talks about everything while pointing and directing, especially while playing. I don’t have a clue what she is saying. Her babbling has no notable structure or resemblance to English, but she is enthusiastic and confident that her point is being made. It is adorable. Some of the real English words she is saying lately are: bath, backpack (thanks, Grandmamma!), stairs, outside, TV, food, and please. She hasn’t had much reason to use many words, since she manages to convey a lot of information with her carefully chosen base vocabulary, sprinkled liberally with pointing and sign language that she knows. This includes: MINE, no, yes, mama, dada, boo-boo and THAT. These pretty much allow her to communicate anything she wants.

Mary is 6 months old now. I am ready for her to eat real food, feed herself, sit by herself, and walk. In essence, I have thought until now that twins would be harder than 2 babies of separate ages. However, now I see that at least with twins you can put each stage behind you. However, with this I feel like the baby stages will never end. Don’t get me wrong; Mary is a wonderful, sweet, lovable bag of snuggly, smiley baby. I love my Mary in a way that surprises me, since I thought I could never love a child as much as I loved Emma. But let’s move on now, people. I am ready to be done with baby food and bottles. And when do they start going to school all day?
Well, the Revolution is nearly over and my bedtime is near.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Trade you for an extra two-year-old. Then you can decide if you really wanted TWO at that stage...

(I love my Fiona very much, but she is cute, independent, wilful, demanding, and mad - sometimes all at once. )

Derek said...

I can't quite say I told you so, since I (foolishly) was not consulted on this decision, but I would have told you so, had you asked.

Lydia Netzer said...

Just want to say that you're doing a fantastic job on your blog. Excellent reading every time and I really look forward to it. Lovely to see someone else enjoying the suffering so much. :) It's the kind of blog I tell people about. GOOD JOB. EXCELLENT WORK. Now my child is in the houseplant.