Thursday, February 24, 2005

Eating Out

We have not eaten out for a meal as a family for a long time. I mean to say at a restaurant versus fast food. We don’t get that very much, either, but it has probably been 10 months since we have successfully gone to a sit-done restaurant and had an entire meal. Today Jim suggested we go out for lunch. Mexican! So, we risked it – nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Let me just say that if you are one of the people at another table (particularly of the Grandparent age), you should NOT speak to my children. Mostly this is because Emma, as any toddler, views this as an open invitation to share during the meal. She will share conversation, her crayons, her food, her milk, etc., etc. If you truly knew a toddler, you would REFRAIN from greeting the child and trying to get them to talk back to you. That is a cry for help, and in the toddler’s mind you are lonely and wish to be befriended – for the entirety of the time you are there. It doesn’t matter to the kid that you are with other friends with who you would like to spend time. You started the conversation; therefore you must want more of it. Don’t even start sending dirty looks over. Emma does not know what a dirty look means and will freely and gladly interpret that to mean you are looking to her for something like talking, or maybe more crayons. Then don’t get annoyed when she wants to know whom your friends are that you brought with you to play. Toddlers are not known for their politeness, and pointing and commenting are things they feel entitled to do. Especially if it involves something she must get close to for touching, like your face or the large mole resting on it. You cannot pretend that she doesn’t exist. After all, YOU started the conversation. The whole thing is just poor form. What I especially don’t like is the child is clearly too young to answer questions, so I am expected to answer for her. “What is your name, dear?” is followed by mommy responding “Emma”. “Oh! Emma! How old are you?” Is that essential for your dining pleasure? “Nearly 2.” Then comes the inevitable – “You are about my grandchild’s age! Her name is ___________, and she likes to ___________”. Then the conversation, according to the adult, is over. It is time for them to talk to the people they know and to enjoy a quiet meal. They do not wish to answer questions, amazingly enough, about why they have a coat on the back of the chair or what is on their face. So, take my advice, do not talk to other peoples’ children unless they talk to you first. Better yet, just pay attention to your life and stay out of my frazzled one. Inevitably, you didn’t really want to know in the first place.
Did I say that lunch went just fine?

2 comments:

Derek said...

I know this will come as a surprise, but I find that I don't really talk to toddlers unless they a) just kicked me in the leg for some unknown reason, b) they just threw something at me for some unknown reason, or c) I'm actually in their house and they are part of the group/family I'm visiting.

Anonymous said...

Do you know how much SODIUM is in mexican food?? Do ya, do ya?? Alas, I'm jealous...there is not one decent mexican restrauant in this town. Yes, I agree, old ladies with moles on their face should never, ever attempt to chat with children in a restraunt if they intend to eat in peace. I warn my own mother (minus the mole) of this. My mother cannot resist stiring it up when there is a child at the next table. Drives me insane. Someday when Victoria is older, she can just keep her small talk at our own table. OY!