Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Walking in the Rain

Nobody walks in the rain anymore. Do you remember those days at college where you had to walk to class through torrential rainstorms? Of course, such weather was a perfect reason to not go to class, and I don't remember walking through many rainstorms. Last night I had a committee meeting to attend and it was raining. I am mostly sick of rain in February when we should be up to our eyebrows in snow. But last night I donned a rain jacket and an umbrella and walked the 2 blocks to my neighbor's. All of the streets were lit up by porch lights (which are all built in with light sensors and no off switch here, so they all stay on all night long and keep the streets from being dark and scary). The houses here are close together, like old Boston or something, and so you could hear the rain in the gutters of the houses, coming together like some unpracticed percussion band. The sound of the rain on the sidewalks and streets ran and splashed and poured over the concrete creating the movement to the orchestration. It was beautiful. I didn't want to go inside. I even walked to another neighbor's house to deliver a book. Imagine their surprise when I told them I was just passing by and thought I would stop over. I got the most incredulous looks, then a breif glance behind me to check that the rain was still coming down prolifically. I waved cheerily, put my hood back up, and happily trekked back home.

Did I say it was a glorious evening?

1 comment:

Derek said...

This won't be a surprise, but if I were still living in Michigan, I'd be thrilled with rain in February. We actually had a bit of a thunderstorm roll through Charlotte earlier tonight. Had some pretty good thunder, the kind where even the walls rattle.

Did I mention that I'm in shorts and bare feet right now, and the heat isn't even running?