Monday, February 07, 2005

Rainy Days and Mondays

Before I start ranting about the difficulties of managing this household and maintaining sanity at the same time, I want to say Happy Birthday to my Mom. I believe she is 38, or maybe 32 this year. I am not quite sure, since she says she gets 1 year younger every birthday. So Happy Birthday to her!

I spent Sunday cleaning (or re-cleaning) everything that the pine cleaner had touched earlier in the week. Then I spent like 2 hours sorting and hanging up the new sized clothes for Emma and Mary. I should not have decided to do both girls' clothes at the same time, but now I know. It took forever to weed out the clothes that were too small and go through the bigger clothes to see what would fit them. So my total time spent vigorously improving the household situation was around 6 hours. Thank goodness Jim made dinner (and it was a tasty one, at that).
Today I went to Meijer’s to pick up a few necessities. I think I have mentioned that I am trying to be frugal when grocery shopping, so I took $50 and aimed to spend $25. Of course, I needed diapers ($9 on sale for one child only), formula ($12 for a small can), baby food ($8 to get the coupon discount) and milk and eggs. So anyone can see that $25 was not going to cut it, but I held out hope. I had a list and it was pretty small and I even managed to not impulse buy (practically a miracle at Meijer’s). My darling daughter Emma was just a prize during the shopping trip. First, it was raining. Why is it raining in FEBRUARY??? I hate rain. So I got both girls into the shopping cart in the rain, with Mary in front and Emma sitting in the larger basket area of the cart. I see moms do that all of the time. I know, they have those deluxe bus-like carts where you can strap your child in the added on part and still have the entire cart for groceries. Except that putting them at that level allows little hands to grab things off of the shelf, or kick them, if they are feeling particularly evil. Emma threw her hat off into a puddle to start. Then she didn’t want to sit. I tried to make her sit and she screamed. This produced various types of looks from the different people shopping near me. An old man cut me off in his zippy motorized cart and gave me a ‘screw you’ look. A younger man with Pampers in his cart and a list in his hand looked at me knowingly and then hurried off. An older woman smiled endearingly and said, “Oh, we don’t want to go shopping today!”. I wanted to kick her really hard. Eventually I let Emma stand because I had developed a headache and did not want to deal with the bystanders. Of course, then she didn’t get any attention, so she started throwing items out of the cart (with a surprised “UH-OH!”). That was great, since I had just picked out 12 jars of baby food. I had, at least, put the eggs on the bottom, just in case of such an emergency. So I found a neat little toy thing (well, Emma found it and screamed MINE-Y! To get it) and let her play with it until we were done. Well, she ignored it until the moment we were at the register, when I found out the cost would be $47 for my groceries, before the $5 toy. You guessed it - another onslaught of crying. We finally got out of there and back home, where everyone (except me) was fed and put down for a nap. I may just follow suit and join the napping throngs.

No comments: