Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The Toddler is Winning

I wanted to make Eggs in a Window for Emma. I think that is what it is called - a piece of bread with the center cut out and an egg cooked in the middle. I was so pleased with my little window and she didn't want one thing to do with it. Surely she had never seen anything like this before and it should not be taken lightly - or eaten for that matter. The dog really enjoyed Eggs in a Window. Then I thought it would be fun to watch her new Rudolph movie together. She sat on my lap for 0.3 seconds and then went and turned the DVD player off. I am not sure whether it was a comment on the specific movie or watching something altogether. When she turned the DVD player back on it defaulted to a Baby Einstein (which she loves). So I let that play. Even Mary was enjoying it, cooing and getting all excited about the colors and movement. Emma turned that off as well. We tried using the child-protection cover on the DVD player, but Emma just took it off and handed it to us, as if to say, 'this was in my way'. I finally turned on the DVD that is housed in our TV, which she cannot get at or turn off. Mary is enjoying watching Baby Van Gogh and Emma is poking around in the desk drawers where she knows she is not supposed to be. I sense that it is going to be a long day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to sign in so I went under anonymous. it's paula....Re: the egg thing: we called it a pig in a poke...don't start in, I'm just the messanger. In any event, how nice of you to make a fancy egg dish that I'm sure the dog enjoyed. Goldie is now begging for a pig in a poke tomorrow moring. Look what you started. Well, Victoria is not taking to her afternoon nap...gotta go.

Lydia Netzer said...

Toad in a Puddle! It's TOAD IN A PUDDLE!!!!


I call culture war right here.

Your "Eggs in a Window" which is very EM Forster and elegant and whatnot, vs. our "Pig in a Poke" and "Toad in a Puddle," which are very you know Faulkner and dirty.

Derek said...

All right, I can't contain myself on this anymore. You mean to tell me you're feeding the kid eggs and bread crust, and you're surprised this was not the kid's idea of exciting? I don't care if you called it Barney's Hyper-energy Special, I wouldn't think this would go over that well. Don't most kids not like the crust? Dogs don't really care what it looks like, or sometimes if it's even actually food. This is what trying to make things "look good" gets you.