Thursday, December 23, 2004

Where She Stops

Emma has no idea what is going to happen in the next two days. Of course, Mary is completely oblivious. I relish the idea that this Christmas is one that I can sit back and watch without the stress of Santa. I also realize that this might be the calmest Emma will ever be during this week of December. The problem with that is, she has been a monster these last few days. On the up side, she is starting to say some more words. Tonight she nearly knocked me over when she said 'pajamas' as clear as day while I was changing her. She has also started calling me to get my attention when I don't seem to be looking. For example, she will say 'uh-oh' and if I am not paying attention she will say 'Mama! Uh- oh!' until I acknowledge her (and whatever crisis has occurred). I am sure it is not a good thing that she now knows how to demand my attention.

Mary has discovered her voice. The problem is, she discovered it at 4 in the morning. She was so fascinated by her ability to make noise that she kept herself up, exploring her new talent, for the rest of the morning. Since she is still in her bassinet next to our bed, this was not received with the greatest happiness. Jim did not have to go into work and I had until 7 to sleep. So much for that. Mary really liked to end her elongated squawks (that is what it really sounds like) with a crescendo into a squeal. This delighted her, and she continued doing that until it was time for me to get up. I am really beginning to wonder if I will ever sleep well again.

No comments: